Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Majkel
Helper I
Helper I

How to test RLS for all reports that share a single dataset

Hi,

I have a big problem. I have multpile reports build on a single dataset and currently it's only possible to test RLS on firtly created report. 

Assuming that I have dataset 1, I can easily test as role in firt report (A), but after developing reports B and C from the same dataset I'm not able to control what users see in these reports.

RLS.PNG

RLS2.PNG

Any recommendation? In the past it was possible with this trick:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset...

But now after the navigation panal changed, it is not longer possible to access workspace elements.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Majkel ,

However, as you mentioned link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset..., I can normally test dynamic RLS for all reports that share a single dataset as shown below. Did you encounter any problems when using this method?

vyadongfmsft_0-1661940046599.png

vyadongfmsft_1-1661940046603.png

If I misunderstand your demands, please feel free to contact us in time.

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Majkel
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-yadongf-msft ! 

Many thanks for your message.

Yes, indeed this solution may work, but my current problem is that after recent update in Power BI Service, I'm missing the button to extend navigation panel, so I'm not able to access workspace elements.

Majkel_0-1661967582573.png

Do you maybe know how I could extend the navigation panel?

Hi @Majkel 

This is the new way that the Power BI Service works, you would need to click on the icon to see the relevant area.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Majkel
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-yadongf-msft ! 

Many thanks for your message.

Yes, indeed this solution may work, but my current problem is that after recent update in Power BI Service, I'm missing the button to extend navigation panel, so I'm not able to access workspace elements.

Majkel_0-1661967582573.png

Do you maybe know how I could extend the navigation panel?

Hi @Majkel ,

Please click here

vyadongfmsft_0-1662515628251.png

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Majkel ,

However, as you mentioned link: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset..., I can normally test dynamic RLS for all reports that share a single dataset as shown below. Did you encounter any problems when using this method?

vyadongfmsft_0-1661940046599.png

vyadongfmsft_1-1661940046603.png

If I misunderstand your demands, please feel free to contact us in time.

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Majkel 

As far as I know you can only test it on the 1 report.

What I have done in the past is to create another user account (which I can log in with) and I then use this account to then test the RLS against other reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks for your suggestion. The way you described is of course a possible scenario, however, it won't work well for dynamic RLS, where it's really important to check what a particular person can see.

In the past it was possible with this trick: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset...

But after the navigation panel has changed it doesn't seems to be an option anymore

Hi Majkel,

You can still expand and collapse the navigation panel. Just click the three stacked lines as shown below:

Mark_Ball_0-1661968413775.png

@Mark_Ball, Hi! 

Thanks for your reply.

Some users don't see a button to extend navigation panel, unfortunately. 

Majkel_0-1662482245793.png

This issue has been already sent to Microsoft support team, so I hope this will be resolved soon:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset/idc-p/2...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors