Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to test RLS for all reports that share a single dataset?

Hi All,

I have a single shared dataset that feeds 7 separate reports (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G). 

SaloniGupta_1-1635353270586.png

Report A contains the actual dataset.

Reports B till G reference Report A's dataset.
Each report's RLS setup should be the same. If I go to the Dataset's security settings and click on "Test as role", it always takes me to Report A. This means I can positively confirm that my RLS rules are working for Report A, but how can I do the same for Report B till G?

The below screenshot shows the role that I have created in the PowerBI desktop.

SaloniGupta_6-1635354268850.png

I have then assigned a Member to this Role in Power BI Service

SaloniGupta_5-1635354051170.png

and when I try to test this role in the Power BI service, I am only able to see Report A which has 2 pages (Order Trends and Booking Protect). Now how can I also test other Reports which share the same dataset and are published in the same workspace as Report A?

SaloniGupta_3-1635353751282.png

I have come across a similar post where the solution says
"If you have assigned users to the different security groups then you would need to assign similar security at report level as well so users just see the report they need to see. "
But I am not sure what exactly this means as there is no "Security" option for other reports (it shows only for dataset).

SaloniGupta_0-1635354569789.png

Also, what about those members whom I don't want to restrict with RLS security, they are being given access to the App and Workspace but not added in RLS Role, they face the below error.

SaloniGupta_0-1635355489147.png

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

When having a single dataset you can only test RLS on Report A in the Power BI Service.

To test the other reports would would need to log in with a user who has got access via RLS.

For people who you would want to view all the data, create a role called All, this role would then have NO filters. And then add those people to those roles.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

When having a single dataset you can only test RLS on Report A in the Power BI Service.

To test the other reports would would need to log in with a user who has got access via RLS.

For people who you would want to view all the data, create a role called All, this role would then have NO filters. And then add those people to those roles.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi All, is this still the state of the Art?
I find this unbeliaveble as I have the need to test different report and seems to be crazy that I cannot do it.
The alternative is to create one dataset for each report, which again is really not that brilliant in terms of platfom efficiency.
Thanks for the feedback

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ 
Thank you so much

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors