Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FinanceGuy
Frequent Visitor

How to switch off use of Gateway Connection ?

Dear all, I have a report published to service. Initially there are 3 datasource. Two are web based and one is connected to my local excel. At that time, I turn on personal Gateway connection for the daily refresh.

Now, I changed that 1 local connection also to One Drive web based connection, and give it an Orgainzation Type credential, and I publish to service again.

I have clicked credential for that new web connection and then run PBI service refresh again it was a success.
However, when I turned off this pc and run the PBI service refresh it later, it returns a message saying failed due to gateway is offline. But all sources are not pointing to local source anymore. 

So please help. How to prevent this report in PBI Service to use Gateway ? I am very frustrated by this....

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ponnusamy
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@FinanceGuy : Its possible that you might still be routing the cloud based connection through "Gateway Server". Even though its not required , there is an option to use the gateway. Check the following in your dataset settings

ponnusamy_0-1632632906373.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution, Give Kudos to motivate the contributors.

View solution in original post

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FinanceGuy 

Modify the path of the data source in the same way as described in the article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

if you do not want visuals to be affected, you can import the new source with the old table name, before this, delete the old table.

And upload the pbix file to OneDrive, then upload the pbix file from OneDrive. Please note that when you edit your credentials, select OAuth2 as the OneDrive Web authentication method.

This will allow you to refresh the dataset without a personal gateway.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
FinanceGuy
Frequent Visitor

OK I finally remove my Gateway, and also found one datasource although looks web based, it is treated as local. It is a webquery link generated from Excel iqy file that I copied out. I then replace this web link with other type of web then it does not use Gateway anymore.

Thanks ponnusamy for the help all along.

@FinanceGuy : Glad that your issue has been resolved. Please consider accepting this as solution so that others can find this thread quickly.

v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FinanceGuy 

Modify the path of the data source in the same way as described in the article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

if you do not want visuals to be affected, you can import the new source with the old table name, before this, delete the old table.

And upload the pbix file to OneDrive, then upload the pbix file from OneDrive. Please note that when you edit your credentials, select OAuth2 as the OneDrive Web authentication method.

This will allow you to refresh the dataset without a personal gateway.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ponnusamy
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@FinanceGuy : Its possible that you might still be routing the cloud based connection through "Gateway Server". Even though its not required , there is an option to use the gateway. Check the following in your dataset settings

ponnusamy_0-1632632906373.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution, Give Kudos to motivate the contributors.

Thanks. The Gateway I am using a Personal Gateway. There is no further setting for it and there is only a "Delete" icon besides it. If I click this delete icon, it says :
"You are about to remove your personal gateway from Power BI. All data sources using this gateway will no longer be able to refresh. Are you sure you want to remove this gateway?"

Will deleting this gateway affect my local connections in other PBI report/dataset ?

Pls advise, thanks

@FinanceGuy : The setting screen should not be any different in personal gateway. I am talking about the settings  for this specific Dataset. can you post the screen shot?

Is an Excel on OneDrive treated as "Local" or "Web" ?

@FinanceGuy : Excel on onedrive will be treated as Web/Cloud.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors