Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BBIUser
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to switch between Development and Production servers when using Enterprise Gateways?

Hi,

I wanted to understand how the Gateway works when working with development and production data/servers. 

We have only one Enterprise gateway installed in a separate server (lets say, Gateway1). This gateway has 2 "Data Source" conections - one pointing to Development data/server and the other pointing to production data/server.

Here is my scenario-

I created a report using the development data in Power BI Desktop which means my connections are now pointing to development data/server. I publish this report to the Power BI Service workspace and apply the Gateway connections for testing.

After testing is completed in Power BI Service workspace, how do I change the connections to production data/server???

Do I have to go back to Power BI Desktop (Data source settings) and change/point it to production server and then re-publish the report again?

Or 

Is there a way for me to switch to production data/server in Power BI Service?

In Power BI Service, the only thing I see is the Gateway Name (under Datasets settings) and nothing that shows developement or production data source name to switch between them.

2018-08-31_1004.png

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking for a solution for the same scenario.

How doe we manage dats sources when we swith from development to prod?

Do we have to open the report in desktop change the dats ource connection to prod database and then publish? 

Or, Do we have to create separate data sources under the gatway and then swith the dat source awhen it has to moved to PROD. What is standard practice/guidance from Power BI to manage datas iin this scenario?

Thanks.

Ivan

@Anonymous You are in luck! They just deployed this solution via Deployment Pipelines. This should cover your needs.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-power-bi-deployment-pipelines-preview/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BBIUser,

After testing is completed in Power BI Service workspace, how do I change the connections to production data/server???

Do I have to go back to Power BI Desktop (Data source settings) and change/point it to production server and then re-publish the report again?

Or 

Is there a way for me to switch to production data/server in Power BI Service?

In Power BI Service, the only thing I see is the Gateway Name (under Datasets settings) and nothing that shows developement or production data source name to switch between them.

For your requirement, I found this blog Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings could help you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for sharing the link, I still din't try what you shared as Cherry's solution was closer to what I was trying to achieve.

@v-piga-msft Cherry, Thanks for sharing the blog!

I was able to partially reproduce what was given in the blog. I am missing something here to get the actual results.

Let me give my scenario:

- I have just 1 dataset in Power BI Desktop. I want to use this same dataset to create reports and switch from development to production. 

- Used Import connection.

- No SQL Statement since I am connecting to just 1 table directly.

- I have created 1 parameter for Server Name where the 'Current Value' is having Development Server information.

- I have created 1 parameter for Database Name which should be the same for production.

2018-09-19_1320.png

1) Should I create another Parameter with Production Server information?

2) Even if I publish with 2 parameters (Dev and Prod), all I can see only the parameter which was selected, saved and published through Power BI Desktop. 

I cannot change the Parameter in Power BI Service.

2018-09-19_1356.png

3) Where should I declare the @@ServerName, since I am not using the SQL Statement instead have imported the table?

Thanks again!

Just type a connection String either Dev, Stg, Prod and it will start populating as shown. Hope this helps.

HarleenKaurD_0-1698648755377.gif

You need to select a type for your parameter other than any. The parameters remain greyed out if Any is selected. Try a type of Text.

@BBIUser I haven't done this yet personally, but you should be able to achieve this by using the PowerShell commands.

Have a look at this:

https://github.com/Azure-Samples/powerbi-powershell

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors