Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

igorfurnas
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to stop manually a scheduled refresh on PowerBI Web

Hello,

I have setup several datasets to update via scheduled refresh. Sometimes a refresh process that typically lasts 10-15min gets some problem and doesn´t finish succesfully. In the meanwhile it that schedule refresh keeps the status as in progress for 2 hours and I cannot start an manual refresh while that scheduled refresh hasn´t finished.

How can I proceed to manually stop a refresh that is currently running?

Best regards,

Igor

10 REPLIES 10
pankumar
Frequent Visitor

Publish a blank PBI file with same name and that would override the exisitng file.

SchavezMX

Just open the .pbix in the Power BI Desktop software and publish it to your workspace and that will override the refresh if it was stuck on endless fresh. 🙂

skiwii
Advocate I
Advocate I

anshul6122
Regular Visitor

An option to stop or cancel the on going refresh in power bi service
-Just open the task manager and end task name with "Microsoft Mashup Evaluation container" and Bingoo !!!! . Your refresh will stop

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @igorfurnas,

The scheduled refresh in the Service side is a cloud Service, which we can't control it manually for now. But we can control the gateway. Therefore we could stop the refresh in many ways. I restart the On-premises Gateway to stop the refresh in my test of on-demand refresh. You can try it for the scheduled refresh. 

Edit: I shut down all the gateways of my account, the scheduled refresh stopped.

How to stop manually a scheduled refresh on PowerBI Web.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,  thanks for your answer. That's helpful in some cases. In my situation I can´t always solve the problem that way since I have several datasets being updated via that gateway, If I restart it I may end up killing the refresh process of other refresh operations that are runnig at the same time. Are you aware of other ways to manually terminate a specific refresh?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same issue as you. Seems like it's been 2 years and no fix yet...

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a serious feature missing from Power BI and it truly creates issues and hinders processes! 😕

@Anonymous @igorfurnas @igorfurnas 

To Cancle the ongoing refresh please follow below

Analyze active sessions and cancel refreshes in Power BI – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!
igorfurnas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello,

I have setup several datasets to update via scheduled refresh. Sometimes a refresh process that typically lasts 10-15min gets some problem and doesn´t finish succesfully. In the meanwhile it that schedule refresh keeps the status as in progress for 2 hours and I cannot start an manual refresh while that scheduled refresh hasn´t finished.

How can I proceed to manually stop a refresh that is currently running?

Best regards,

Igor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors