Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to spin up/mimic Power BI Premium for Development & QA?

Hi,

We have a client who has their own Premium instance/environment. And the reports (both Power BI and Paginated) deployed in their Premium environment (Prod) would be accessed using their AD credentials - but from within our application (embedded).

Is there a way to spin up a seperate environment/workspace for Dev & QA on our own Power BI tenant (without paying for the price for Premium). Reports will obviously be built in Desktop & Paginated report builder but need to be deployed in a workspace that would mimic the Premium workspace for testing the embedding, authentication & authorization from our application.

And if we need to spin up, can we use A4 (instead of P1) to keep it to hourly, or even maybe go down to A1 SKU? (i heard Paginated reports were going to be supported in A1 also eventually - with Gen2?) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyclist007 ,

There is no way I know about to spin up a Dev Premium environment that has all of the characteristics of a Premium site.  However, you can get a handful of PPU licenses to mimic parts of Premium.  It is "mostly" the same but has differences in the sharing methods.  This link will be helpful: Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyclist007 ,

There is no way I know about to spin up a Dev Premium environment that has all of the characteristics of a Premium site.  However, you can get a handful of PPU licenses to mimic parts of Premium.  It is "mostly" the same but has differences in the sharing methods.  This link will be helpful: Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq  thanks, yeah PPU could be an interesting way, but will we be able to build & test embedding?

Want to eventually deploy this for Embed for your organization (user owns data) as the client has their own Power BI Premium, but the Development & QA needs to be done in a seperate tenant (which is not Premium), hence was trying to see what's best way to mimic a Premium workspace?

Hey @cyclist007 ,

I think that since you are trying to test, the PPU would be the best method since it is the least expensive alternative to mimic Premium functionality without actually having to purchase Premium.  Once you believe that you have it all tested out, then you can decide to purchase or use full Preimum.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq Thanks for answer. Yes we will try out with PPU (have marked that as a solution for now)

But do also want to find out if Azure SKUs (A1, A2) or some other way is a better representative for Premium for Dev & QA - if someone else has had a similar situation (just like PBI Report server Developer edition mimics the PBI Report Server Enterprise edition)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors