Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

How to share reports/dashboards/apps via sharepoint with people who don't have a Power BI license?

I'm trying to share reports/dashboards/apps with people in my organization who do not have a Power BI lincese. 

Using the embed report-> sharepoint online link we can share the power bi report with other users. How can I share reports/dashboards/apps via sharepoint with people who don't have a Power BI license or trial? If it is possible. If not, what would be the best solution?. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @HamidBee 

The only way to share Power BI reports is with Power BI Premium, and then the users can access the reports with a Power BI Free license.

If you are embedding with Power BI in Sharepoint the users will require a Power BI Pro license. Or as said before it would then be a combination of Power BI premium with Power BI Free user licenses.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
omnepresent

Reports and dashboards may be shared with internal and external users. You'll need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license to share content; users will need the same license to view the content. When an internal user clicks the shared link, Power BI adds the dashboard or report to their 'Shared with me list' page.

To know more check out this blog on Power BI.

ravi_ray_2022
Regular Visitor

Reports and dashboards may be shared with internal and external users. You'll need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license to share content; users will need the same license to view the content. When an internal user clicks the shared link, Power BI adds the dashboard or report to their 'Shared with me list' page

Is this different for an app?. If I shared it with someone who doesn't have a PPU licence while I have a PPU license. 

KoningToon
Regular Visitor

You could use www.webdashboard.com for embedding in sharepoint. Simple, easy and cost effective. Have a look. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @HamidBee 

The only way to share Power BI reports is with Power BI Premium, and then the users can access the reports with a Power BI Free license.

If you are embedding with Power BI in Sharepoint the users will require a Power BI Pro license. Or as said before it would then be a combination of Power BI premium with Power BI Free user licenses.

Power BI Blog

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I'm not sure if I understood the last part. If I embed a report on SharePoint and I have a PPU account can users view the report with a free Power BI license on the SharePoint site?. Thanks. 

Hi @HamidBee 

You have to have the App Workspace using Power BI Premium and NOT Premium Per User.

Power BI Blog

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Are you referring to this?

Premium.png

Hi @HamidBee 

That is for individual users, you would need Power BI Premium which is configured.

Here is how it is done Create the new workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Blog

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

So if I embed a report on SharePoint and I have a PPU account can users view the report with a free Power BI license on the SharePoint site provided that the report/app is being shared from a 'premium per capacity' workspace?. Thanks. 

Hi @HamidBee 

Unfortunately this will not work

Power BI Premium Per user means that each user would need a Power Bi Premium Per user license to view the data.

What I am talking about is Power BI Premium which you can see here: What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Blog

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you for the clarification. I was really hoping there was a work around. At work our small team has PPU licenses. We need to share reports with others who don't have any BI license. The reports are shared via SharePoint. 

Hi HamidBee, 

Using Webdashboard will solve this. Offcourse you will need licenses for Webdashboard but our customers like it very much that they don't have to arrange it for their customers. So if you have a portal in Webdashboard you merely only need an email adres from your users and it will work. 

Please book an webassist session at Webdashboard and the techguys will answer all your questions. www.webdashboard.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors