Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to share or copy dataflows

I created a Dataflow within a Teams page on Power Bi Service. Is there anyway of sharing the Dataflow or copying it and adding it to another Teams page on PBI Servcie Thanks Joe
3 REPLIES 3
TimoRiikonen
Advocate III
Advocate III

Couple of new features.

Option 1) Export the dataflow as a Power Query template. Button is on the up-right corner. It says Share, but actually it is Download.
Create a new dataflow and select Import from a Power Query template from bottom of the screen. 
Option 2) Create a new dataflow and select import from dataflows. This didn't work for me, but you can test it out. Warning: it is slow.

Option 1 worked well and is much faster, so I recommend that one.

But creating the copy works still the same, not obvious, way:

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Do you create an App workplace and create a dataflow inside this App workplace, then you want to create the same dataflow in another App workplace, right?

After reasearching and testing, i don't find any option to share or copy the dataflows.

One workaround is to copy the code in the created dataflow, then when cretate another dataflow, select a blank query and paste the code in the editor.

Best Regards

Maggie

Turns out that making a copy of a Power BI Dataflow is not that intuitive. If you don’t want to watch this 3 minute video, then you can just click on the menu options for the dataflow and then click on “Export .json” option. This will export the dataflow in a json file format. Now you can open the json file and make changes in bulk if you want. For example if you have twenty tables that connect to the same server/database and you would like to change that in bulk to point the dataflow from dev to test or prod server, then you can do a find/replace on the text file and update the server and database definitions. If you do not need to make any changes, then just use the json file as is. The next step is to click New-˃Dataflow in the workspace where you would like to copy your dataflow to and then use the Import Model option. Then you will need to find and select the json file on your machine and click ok. A copy of your original dataflow will be created. To rename, click on the menu and then Properties. Link to blog: https://businessintelligist.com/2020/09/16/how-to-make-a-copy-of-a-power-bi-dataflow/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors