Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lehoang4471
Frequent Visitor

How to share a report with external user?

Hello guys, im new to Power BI, how can I share a report with external user (client)?
I tried to google but seem like power BI is updated and the old guide can not be used anymore.

Here is the picture I tried the text said "this email address is not in your organization" 😞
Thanks, have a nice day

image_2021-12-22_145705.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lehoang4471 

Unless the Admin has turned the feature off you should be able to share with people outside your domain. I guess it’s the “new” share dialogue that’s getting in the way. See at the top it says "People in your organization with the link can view and share" I guess that's why it throws an error if you put in someone outside your organization. You need to share in a slightly different way.

So, in that "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where you can enter the external recipients email addresses then click "grant access".

Unless you have Premium Capacity The recipient will need to have a power bi Pro licence to access the report.

hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have their email added to your company's Azure Active Directory. Then you can share the link with them, if the Admin has allowed sharing outside of the company. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
natasjamekes
Helper II
Helper II

With Webdashboard you can easily share your Power BI reports and dashboards, with an intern and external users. All you need is an e-mail address.

You can try Webdashboard 30 days for free and if you need any help, they will quickly react. It's available at the Microsoft App Source and for more information, you can visit the website: www.webdashboard.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have their email added to your company's Azure Active Directory. Then you can share the link with them, if the Admin has allowed sharing outside of the company. 

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lehoang4471 

Unless the Admin has turned the feature off you should be able to share with people outside your domain. I guess it’s the “new” share dialogue that’s getting in the way. See at the top it says "People in your organization with the link can view and share" I guess that's why it throws an error if you put in someone outside your organization. You need to share in a slightly different way.

So, in that "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where you can enter the external recipients email addresses then click "grant access".

Unless you have Premium Capacity The recipient will need to have a power bi Pro licence to access the report.

hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors