Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

birdie29
Helper II
Helper II

How to share Reports and Dashboards - Am I missing something?

Hi All

I'm not entirely sure if my message is due to a lack of knowledge on my part or a failing of Power BI.

So, our business wants Finance to create reports and standard dashboards. Finance don't want users to edit them and users generally don't want to edit them, other than of course to filter by what's of interest to them.

Users of these reports then want to create their own Dashboards so they can have a snapshot of data useful to them. They also want to save their own copies of the reports because at the moment everytime they go into the report they have to filter it to make it relevant to them.

I understand the only solution is to create a content pack, which has the following flaws:

1. To be able to save filters on the reports, users have to copy them first, so they effectively end up with two of everything
  2. By copying the report users can also edit the report, potentially leading to incorrect and/or sensitive data being released from which business decisions are made.
  3. The left hand navigation bar is so small, users cannot see which report is the copy and which is the original.
  4. If finance ammend a report this doesn't update the individuals copy so users need to copy the report again.
  5. In this case users will now have three of every report unless and they choose to delete one in which case they need to be make sure they delete the right one.
  6. Either way, users will need to re-filter their reports and re-create their dashboards.

I do not believe this is what Microsoft intended nor can I believe others have rolled out Power BI in this way. Therefore, what do I need to do differently?!

Very keen to hear people's thoughts on how they share reports and dashboards!

Thank you

Chris

1 REPLY 1
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @birdie29,

For content pack manage, please check: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-manag...

I think content pack is one option in sharing&collaboration, so please try another option - group workspace: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-create-a-group-in-power-bi/

• You could add members to group, publish reports/dashboard to specific groups
  • Allow users read only or editable 

I prefer group workspace than content pack. I just use content pack for organization public or multiple report/dashboard public in organization. 

One thing about sensitive data, i think when you sharing reports that means you allow your associates permission to interactive with your data. if you need to restrict permission/privilege, you could try to implement RLS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors