Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ap
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to setup a dashboard for Pro AND Free users? Do I need to do this under separate accounts?

Hello,

I've built a set of reports using RLS and on-premise gateway aka the Pro Features. We have secured the Pro Licences for the consumers of this account. 

However, we also want to build reports for another group of users that don't need data refreshed daily or RLS. 

Understanding that I might inadvertently trigger a "pro" feature when building for the Power BI free users, I have a few questions please if someone can answer

1. We have AAD running, as creator of the reports, do I have to create another account to build a seperate power bi dataset or is it simply just creating another BPIX file with none of the Pro content involved.

2. When sharing the dashboards, (I went straight to the Pro Version) I just need to hit Share button and should be able to share with the anyone in my AAD? 

3. To be clear, I cannot use any of the on premise gateways correct? if I want to refresh, this has to be a manual publish from the desktop version correct? 

Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

THank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ap

Here are my answers to your questions below.

1. You are correct that you can actually just take your existing PBIX file, and go Save As. Then once you have your new PBIX file remoave all the tables and roles created for RLS. That should disable any Pro features when you publish it into the Power BI Service.

2. Once you have created your new dashboard off the file uploaded in step 1, you can then simply click on the Share Button. NOTE: The thing to make a note of is that because you shared the dashboard from "My Workspace", people will be allowed to view the dashboard and the reports, but not able to edit them.

3. Yes you are correct, as soon as you connect your PBIX file to your Gateway, it will enable the Pro feature. So just do not connect it and have to manually refresh your data and upload. Another option is if you use OneDrive for Business you could connect your data to CSV files etc in OneDrive for Business and this will refresh when you update your files in OneDrive for Business without having to use the Pro feature.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ap

Here are my answers to your questions below.

1. You are correct that you can actually just take your existing PBIX file, and go Save As. Then once you have your new PBIX file remoave all the tables and roles created for RLS. That should disable any Pro features when you publish it into the Power BI Service.

2. Once you have created your new dashboard off the file uploaded in step 1, you can then simply click on the Share Button. NOTE: The thing to make a note of is that because you shared the dashboard from "My Workspace", people will be allowed to view the dashboard and the reports, but not able to edit them.

3. Yes you are correct, as soon as you connect your PBIX file to your Gateway, it will enable the Pro feature. So just do not connect it and have to manually refresh your data and upload. Another option is if you use OneDrive for Business you could connect your data to CSV files etc in OneDrive for Business and this will refresh when you update your files in OneDrive for Business without having to use the Pro feature.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Very comprehensive question and answer for me who have exact same case. As experiment I simply uploaded an excel file (plain local data) as dataset and built a very simple report and pinned it - I still cannot share it to free users. Is there a way to examine which part I triggered any Pro feature? Thanks.

Unfortunately, effective June 1st. You can no longer share your dashboard to a free user. They must be Pro or Premium to view shared content. Our solution was that we had to move to Premium. I posted that question before the June 1st announcement. 😞

Zejian
Regular Visitor

Unfortunate but thanks for the response. So the case is sharing dashboard even not working among free users, or just Pro cannot share dashboard to free users? I did some quick search but was not able to find article with exact terms - any luck that you have any idea? Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The line between Free and Pro is no longer about features but "Collaboration".  Free users cannot share, nor view shared content.

Thanks for clarifying. Very clear and disappointing now though 🙂

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors