Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to set up drill-through filters

I've read all the help pages and watched all of the YouTube videos I can find on how to set up drill-through filters and can't seem to get it to behave the way the help pages and videos describe it behaving.

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-drillthrough, after adding a field to the Drillthrough filters well on my target page, I should be able to right-click on a visualization on another page containing that field and see "Drillthrough >" on the right-click pop-up menu.  But that's not happening.  What I see instead are the following 4 options:

• See Records
  • Show Data
  • Include
  • Exclude

Question:  How can I get "Drillthrough >" to show up in the right-click menu?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your sample pbix file, it seems that the column you used in Drill through is different from the column in Pie chart so you cannot see the Drill through when select in Pie chart.

In your sample file, you use the MANUFACTURER_DESCRIPTION in different tables.

By my tests, if we use the same column MANUFACTURER_DESCRIPTION from the same table in Pie chart and Drill through Feild, it will work successfully.

Drill through.PNG

More details, please refer to the pbix.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What visual are you using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried both a pie chart and a matrix data table.

Are there related fields in both summary and detail? It's not adding to the filters but you need to have those fields in both the reports or as slicers so the reports can identify they both are related and the link will get enabled. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have the same field in the visualization as on the detail page.

Hi @Anonymous,

If it is convenient, could you share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Cherry.  And thanks in advance for your help.

I've created a DropBox and uploaded a PBIX file there that demonstrates the issue I've been having.  Here's a link to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix6e7clk8q4to9q/Greg%20Test.pbix?dl=0

What I'm trying to do is give the user the ability to click on a slice of the pie in my pie chart on the Visulations Page tab and have it take them to details about the respective manufacturer on the Drillthrough Destination Page.  But when I right-click on the pie chart, the right-click pop-up menu does not include a "Drillthrough" option.  The field "Manufacturer_Name" appears both in the pie chart and in the table found on the Drillthrough Destination Page.

Thanks again for your help...

Greg

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your sample pbix file, it seems that the column you used in Drill through is different from the column in Pie chart so you cannot see the Drill through when select in Pie chart.

In your sample file, you use the MANUFACTURER_DESCRIPTION in different tables.

By my tests, if we use the same column MANUFACTURER_DESCRIPTION from the same table in Pie chart and Drill through Feild, it will work successfully.

Drill through.PNG

More details, please refer to the pbix.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help with this, Cherry!  That did it!!!

Greg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors