Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to set slicer value to first available value form table?

I have an automated process for publishing reports using Power BI Api's. But when they get published the value selected in slicer is what it was in the previous reports which is completely irrelevant to the new data source. Is there a way to get a relevant selection in the slicer according to the new data automatically whenever the the reports with new data source is published?

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous When the original file is saved, it is saved with whatever values were set in both filters and slicers. I would suggest updating the source report to remove that original value... Or is there a need to have the first value selected regardless of data?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer There is a need to default the slicer based on the data available in the data source.

Let me just clarify the requirement.  Let's say there is a Product slicer with the single select option enabled, and while publishing the report we have set the default value to Product X. Within the source, we have updated the name of that particular product to Product XY.

So, now, our report will display two values in the Product slicer. 

• Product X (default selection but not available in the database) 
  • Product XY

Kindly note that we are using Direct Query as the connection mode. 

I hope the issue is clear now, let me know if there is a solution or workaround to resolve this issue. I will be happy to share further details if required.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sakshi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 100 clients and when i replicate reports for them using Power BI API's the slicer is selected to first client product name. Right now I have to make all the changes manually before delivering the reports is there any workaround for this??

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors