Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Capitalmale
Frequent Visitor

How to separate private projects from work projects

My company purchased a pro license for me. I downloaded a copy of BI to my personal computer to practice and complete projects on my own with sets outside of work.  I wish the share the projects completed on my time publically. 

I completed a project as a volunteer for my parish. I do not want this project to be in my the my powerbi work space related to my work account.  

With a free license I should be able to share this project to the web, but by desktop software doesnt give me that option anymore.

How can I share this project with my parish? Its seems like a need a separate account, but BI I dont have another work or school email addres I can use to create it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Capitalmale 

According to your description, you said you don’t have another work or school email address and your tenant admin turn off the “Publish to web” option but you need to use this function, right?

I think you can try my steps to find a solution:

1. Follow this link to create a Power BI account with a new Microsoft 365 Trial:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-signing-up-for-power-bi-with-a-new-off...

1. Go to your report in the Power BI desktop, click the “Sign out” on the top and log in with the newly created account:

v-robertq-msft_0-1616487585249.png

1. Publish your report to the “My workspace” and go to the service to publish this report to web

v-robertq-msft_1-1616487585252.png

And I think you can achieve what you want.

More info about signing up for the Power BI service as an individual

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Capitalmale 

According to your description, you said you don’t have another work or school email address and your tenant admin turn off the “Publish to web” option but you need to use this function, right?

I think you can try my steps to find a solution:

1. Follow this link to create a Power BI account with a new Microsoft 365 Trial:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-signing-up-for-power-bi-with-a-new-off...

1. Go to your report in the Power BI desktop, click the “Sign out” on the top and log in with the newly created account:

v-robertq-msft_0-1616487585249.png

1. Publish your report to the “My workspace” and go to the service to publish this report to web

v-robertq-msft_1-1616487585252.png

And I think you can achieve what you want.

More info about signing up for the Power BI service as an individual

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Capitalmale
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the suggestion, but the company administratior turned off the "Publish to Web (Public)" feature.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Capitalmale 

Add a new workspace to your Pro license and don't give permission to others. Use it to publish your reports in it and share it with Public.

Free license have limitations, so be happy and lucky that you have a Pro one 😁

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

It seems like you are left with no much choice.

If you need to do some test before sharing with your organization then I think your Administrator needs to set you free 😉

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors