Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

antonstam
Regular Visitor

How to select text from table visual

In one of my reports, I'd like to be able to select a cell from the table visual, copy its contents, and paste it somewhere in another window. PowerBI does not allow this, so I have to enter the value manually. Is there any way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@antonstam There is no write back within visuals... you can't look at a dataset, then manually change it. The only way to "write back" to the datasource would be to create a Power App and put that in your dashboard. That is the only means I'm aware of to initiate changes from the Service to the data source.

If you are just asking about copy from and paste outside of the tool, the answer is still no. But you can click on the '..." on the upper right and "Export Data" - this would output the underlying dataset. (Provided this functionality has not been disabled by an admin)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like this to be utilized by others using my Report in Power BI. I can right click on an object in a visualization then have the options of Show Data

Incluce

Exclude

Copy

Copy Value

Copy Selection

Others using the report do not have the Copy functionality. How do they get it activated for them?copy.gif

@antonstam There is no write back within visuals... you can't look at a dataset, then manually change it. The only way to "write back" to the datasource would be to create a Power App and put that in your dashboard. That is the only means I'm aware of to initiate changes from the Service to the data source.

If you are just asking about copy from and paste outside of the tool, the answer is still no. But you can click on the '..." on the upper right and "Export Data" - this would output the underlying dataset. (Provided this functionality has not been disabled by an admin)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

How can something be marked as a solution if what the poster requested is not a feature supported by PowerBI????

The answer was "NO"

If My car breaks down and when I go to the mechanic to get it fixed,

Then they tell me "NO",

I don't walk out of the shop feeling like I have a solution.  Do you?

I share your sentiments. "The answer is still no" is not a solution. We need a way to let people copy text off the screen.

Upvote the downvote.  The workaround of exporting data is super lame and Microsoft should for sure not consider it a solution.  It is also lame that browsers somehow prevent this as well.

It's the second thing I was referring to - copy from the report, paste somewhere else. I'll make sure the export button is enabled and that the users are aware of this functionality.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors