Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Teun1990
Frequent Visitor

How to see colleagues data(aggregated), but disable the option to drill down on it

Hi,

I have a dataset of training data of all employees within our company

This table contains information about their Grouplead & their Manager (highest level)

So hierarchy is Employee (lowest), Grouplead(middle) & Manager(highest).

Since it's sensitive data I've set-up rules (via RLS) so that a grouplead can only see employee data from his team. 

However, this means they can literally only see their data & not the (total) data from the collegue groupleads .

So what I would like to achieve is some kind of rule/way, in a way that a grouplead can still see all the totals of all groupleads, but can only drilldown on the data from their own team 

Can someone help me with this?

Kind Regards, 

Teun 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Teun. I think a secure idea would be creating two reports from that dataset. One with RLS exploring all users and another one without drilling down to check all global group numbers.

On the other hand there is another approach that might be a little insecure but works. Build everything at group level. Then in order to explore details you can use drillthrough or syncSlicers to a hidden page. The trick would be disabling a button all the time unless the proper group is selected. E.g if you are using sync slicers you can build a measure like this for a button and its page navigation. Then click on the group of slicer and the button should turn on:

IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE(mail of group owner) = USERNAME()
    , "Page Name"
)

You can follow this post for more details: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/686416582320226304/powerbiux-una-medida-para-formato-y-navegación

The post shows that you can build two measures one for formatting the disable and one for navigating or tweak it to make both actions in one measure.

I hope the idea make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Teun1990 ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or if you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi Teun. I think a secure idea would be creating two reports from that dataset. One with RLS exploring all users and another one without drilling down to check all global group numbers.

On the other hand there is another approach that might be a little insecure but works. Build everything at group level. Then in order to explore details you can use drillthrough or syncSlicers to a hidden page. The trick would be disabling a button all the time unless the proper group is selected. E.g if you are using sync slicers you can build a measure like this for a button and its page navigation. Then click on the group of slicer and the button should turn on:

IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE(mail of group owner) = USERNAME()
    , "Page Name"
)

You can follow this post for more details: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/686416582320226304/powerbiux-una-medida-para-formato-y-navegación

The post shows that you can build two measures one for formatting the disable and one for navigating or tweak it to make both actions in one measure.

I hope the idea make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Creating two reports from the dataset was the solution - Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors