Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to scheduled refresh to append the data instead of updating the dataset?

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to Power BI seeking your advise on a query which I have.

For context Below is the flow which I'm currently following.

1. GET the data from an API which comes in an JSON format.

2. Currently i'm PreProcessing the data via a python script outside of Power BI which creates one main files and 4 different files from the json output which I get from the API and data is saved as csv files on my local drive.

3. Built the Power BI report based on the processed data saved on my local drive.

4. I've published the report from my desktop to the Power BI Service.

Now the query which I have is I need to refresh the dataset everyday which will have new entries and also exsisting enries might have a modification. That being said I cannot refresh the complete dataset I need to append the new entries and update the exsisting entries if there are any modification. 

My idea was to write a python script and run it on power bi which has a schedule refresh option which can run everyday for step 1 and 2. But I'm kind of confused as to how do I append the data to the current dataset instead of updating the entire dataset which is huge and time consuming and not ideal. If it was just one "Sheet/Dataset" that wouldnt be a problem because I think i can first create the base dataset and once the base dataset is ready I can write another python script which keeps appending the data to the dataset. But since the data is in JSON format everytime I need to process it to create five different files and update/append on each files seperately from just one main dataset(hope that makes sense).

How would you tackle this? How would I automate the process?

So my question is, is there a better way of doing this without the help of any other apps by just using powerbi service?

Not sure what kind of options does Premium offer but is it possible in Power BI premium? Or is there any other apps which can help me acheive this from the Microsoft catalogue of apps? if yes please advise how would the flow look like?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Look at the concept of incremental refresh.  However you say that your data keeps changing.  That's not really good for incremental refresh and the way it partitions data.  Do you have a "Last Modified" datetime field in your data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin Yes it does have a Last Modified datetime column.

I am preparing a blog article that proposes a method to use incremental refresh in such a scenario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's cool, Please share the link once its complete I'm in dier need for that workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors