Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

How to replace an existing import query with a Dataflow direct query?

Hello,

I have a question in 2 parts:

(1) How do you get Direct Query to work with a dataflow?  I have followed the instructions here

mainly enabling enhaced computer engine for the dataflow - but direct query is not displaying as an option.  It just automatically imports and never asks to set to direct query.

(2) Once (1) works - need to change an existing import query (going against a SQL Server db) with the Direct Query Dataflow connection.  Normally I'd just go into Advanced settings of the data connection and update the connection info.  But, not sure if doing so will use Import by default.

Appreciate any assistance which can be offered.

Thanks,

Dan

3 REPLIES 3
dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks @aj1973  - we do not use calculated columns.

Absolutely no way to do this?  Our data model has nearly 30 tables and various measure.  Would be very time-consuming if we had to rebuild the entire thing just because we can't toggle between Import and Direct Query.

Any way to go into the XML of the data model behind the scenes or something like that?

Thanks,

Dan

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dancarr22 

To answer your first Question, yes the way you are thinking of is time consuming although you wouldn't need to change the connection mode of 30 Tables...only work on the fact table and leave the dim tables on import mode.

Can't answer your second question about XML... Could be interesting to me as well to know.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dancarr22 

Replacing an Import connection mode by DQ mode is not possible. A simple example why this is not possible is that you can add a calculated column into an imported Table therefore the added column is not allowed to be added directly to the source.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors