Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

How to remove dataset from Workspace that is used in another workspace?

I am having problems removing a dataset from one of my workspaces

So I have workspace A and workspace B

Workspace B has a dataset B

In workspace A I decide to import dataset B via "Get Data". I play around, create a report but I end up not liking it. So I remove the report. But the dataset B is still in my workspace A.

When I try to remove dataset B from my workspace A I hit an error saying

"Cant delete this dataset - At least one report outside of your workspace is using this dataset. To see dependent reports, open the Related content pane"

I know this particular dataset is in fact used in a seperate workspace. But to avoid clutter in my workspace A I would like to remove it

How do I go about removing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Urgh

Just as I was writing the above post, I was recreating my issue and discovered what it is

So yesterday, I had imported dataset B into workspace A, created a report in workspace A and saved it.

I ended up not liking it, then I deleted the report in workspace A but for some reason dataset B was still "stuck" under my workspace A datasets.

I just literally logged out and logged back in, refreshed my browser and I see the dataset B is no longer listed in my workspace A.

I guess if I create a report with a dataset from a different workspace, then the report and that dataset is listed in workspace A. But once the report is deleted in workspace A, I need to refresh my browser/log out and then the dataset B will also dissapear on its own

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In Workspace A, what if you go under Datasets and then try and remove the dataset there?

Are there any dashboards related to Dataset B?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQThanks for the reply

In workspace A I did in fact go under Datasets - Right Click - Remove Dataset and it gives me the above error.

There is another dashboard/report using dataset B in workspace B- So I understand I cant completely "delete" the dataset since it is technically still being used.

But after importing the dataset into workspace A, its still stuck under my "datasets" section

Urgh

Just as I was writing the above post, I was recreating my issue and discovered what it is

So yesterday, I had imported dataset B into workspace A, created a report in workspace A and saved it.

I ended up not liking it, then I deleted the report in workspace A but for some reason dataset B was still "stuck" under my workspace A datasets.

I just literally logged out and logged back in, refreshed my browser and I see the dataset B is no longer listed in my workspace A.

I guess if I create a report with a dataset from a different workspace, then the report and that dataset is listed in workspace A. But once the report is deleted in workspace A, I need to refresh my browser/log out and then the dataset B will also dissapear on its own

Thanks for letting us know how you solved your issue

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors