Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kadingo
Helper II
Helper II

How to register SSRS 2016 report server with Power Bi

I'm trying to intergrate SSRS 2016 report server with Power BI such that i be able to pin SSRS reort items to a Power Bi dashboard as explained here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/power-bi-report-server-integ...

In SQL Server 2016 reporting services configuration manager, i can to the "Power BI Intergration" screen and click the "Register with power BI" button. This takes my to the Microsoft login page where i enter my organisation email. After detecting my domain from the email, am taken to my organisation login page and then the registration is initiated but it fails with the following error

failed to register power BI client application. You may not have permissions to register an app with azure active directory

Has any one ever encountered this error

3 REPLIES 3
80mariam

Help

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kadingo,

For Requirements of Power BI Report Server Integration, your organization must use Azure Active Directory, which provides directory and identity management for Azure services and web applications said in the article. The error messages means you don'y have permission  to register an app with azure active directory, please connect your company IT admin and double check it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft ,

Thank you very much the info above and as per the requirements, i can confirm the below:

1. My organization is already using Azure Active Directory because from the results panel in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager", Singinging in to the Azure Active Directory shows success.

The problem is, i work in a very big organisation with dozens of AD domains under a parent domain managed at head quators. So i believe the Azure AD intergration is being managed at head quators because the admins of the child domain i belong to seem not to be having an idea of how Azure AD intergration came about. 

So if i have to talk to the admins at head quators, i will need to be specific on what exact permissions i want.

So do you know of any microsoft offical documetation that mentions exactly what permissions i need to be able to  register an app with azure active directory?

Do you know of a ste-by-step article on how to grant permissions in azure active directory?

On further research, i have come across this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-apps-permissions-consent  and the is a screen, with the "User Settings" link link highlighted which gives you an option to enable the "Users can register applications" setting. In my case all the optiions on that "User Settings" screen are disabled / readonly so i cannot click to enable them. Can i take it this is what the admins have to do to over come the error am getting?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors