Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

latearrival
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to refresh dataset on Power BI Service from Azure MySQL database

Hi all.

I've got a report that is based on data from an Azure MySQL database. Everything's working fine on PBI Desktop. But I can't refresh the dataset on the PBI Service.  When I click 'Refresh now' on the dataset, I get an error: "...at least one data source is missing credentials."

error1.PNG

In the Dataset Settings, the 'Data source credentials' option is greyed out.

error2.PNG

Google searches keep bringing up stuff about needing some gateway software installed. But surely I don't need server software to get an Azure app to retrieve data from an Azure DB?!

What do I need to do to be able to refresh the dataset on the Power BI Service?

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To answer my own question, yes, you need to install the data gateway in order to refresh a dataset on Azure MySQL.

In our case, we don't have on-premises servers, so we've installed the gateway on an Azure VM.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@latearrival 

Is there any othere data sources used in this report other than MySql.

If you have, then please click "Gateway Connection" and try to click "add to gateway".

If only My Sql, Please try to install the Gateway and check with refresh (On-demand / Scheduled).

As per the below document, not mentioned about Azure My Sql.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-data-sources

So please check with the Gateway once and let us know the status.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

Thanks for helping @venal 

Azure MySQL is the only data source.

I'm new to Power BI and I'm not sure what "gateway" you're referring to.  The only gateway I've read about is a locally installed one that is used for accessing on-premises data source, which I'm not trying to do.

@latearrival 

Please try to download the On-premises data gateway and try to configure the data source to the Gateway in Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

@venal

Before I try that, woud you mind confirming my understanding please. Are you saying that I need to install a data gateway in order to refresh the dataset from Azure MySQL?  

It seems crazy that an Azure service (PBI) needs locally installed software (a data gateway) to be able to retrieve data from another Azure service (Azure MySQL). Both cloud-based (not on-premise) and both running on Azure. It doesn't make sense to me.

To answer my own question, yes, you need to install the data gateway in order to refresh a dataset on Azure MySQL.

In our case, we don't have on-premises servers, so we've installed the gateway on an Azure VM.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors