Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tecnicoit1
Regular Visitor

How to refresh a report into a dashboard?

Hi,

I have a report done which shows the production's information of latest 8 hours. My client wants to see all the information calculated and autorefreshed in a period of <5min.

We'd discard RESTAPI and PUBNUB services because this method shows all information individually into tiles (if i'm not wrong). I have ~65 visualizations into report, which show them in diferents tiles (which force to order it quadratically and had a minimum size) won't be comfortable to see.

How can I refresh the information of a report put into a dashboard without refreshing all page? Or it has any other method to do this?

Nowadays the origin is from SQL Server as DirectQuery.

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@tecnicoit1 This sounds like a display question... If you are using DQ, obviously any time the client wants to interact with the reports than he should see the latest. If this is a "Main monitor" display question, than I would say the following.

The dashboard is a non-starter, the tiles aren't going to update any quicker than 15 minutes, and it's probably closer to 30 minutes. Even if you refreshed the dashboard page repeatedly.

Your best/only option would be to display a report page, and have an add-in or 3rd party tool cycle the browser page on a schedule (ex: every 4 minutes). This should re-initiate the calls to the database to refresh the dataset on the visuals. This thread specifically addresses the cycling, and there are others that talk about using a TV (making an assumption here)

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-To-Display-on-a-TV/m-p/9174#M3884

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-display-direct-connect-on-TV/m-p/11566#M4402

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@tecnicoit1 This sounds like a display question... If you are using DQ, obviously any time the client wants to interact with the reports than he should see the latest. If this is a "Main monitor" display question, than I would say the following.

The dashboard is a non-starter, the tiles aren't going to update any quicker than 15 minutes, and it's probably closer to 30 minutes. Even if you refreshed the dashboard page repeatedly.

Your best/only option would be to display a report page, and have an add-in or 3rd party tool cycle the browser page on a schedule (ex: every 4 minutes). This should re-initiate the calls to the database to refresh the dataset on the visuals. This thread specifically addresses the cycling, and there are others that talk about using a TV (making an assumption here)

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-To-Display-on-a-TV/m-p/9174#M3884

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-display-direct-connect-on-TV/m-p/11566#M4402

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Yes, is that, a main monitor display.

I put a add-in into chrome in order to make this refresh page, but i wanna to know if Power BI include an own service which refresh it. What I don't like about refresh all page is that at every refresh, the page appears completly blank until the refresh have done.

A lot of thanks @Seth_C_Bauer

@tecnicoit1 Yeah, there is no out of the box switch or action you can take that will replicate this scenerio. Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors