Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jean_77250
Frequent Visitor

How to refresh a dataset by another user than its owner after a partial update

Hi,
Members of my team have access to the team's workspace in Power BI Service and they would like to refresh a multi-source dataset. Everything is fine when the owner of the dataset refreshes it after having updated its sources.

But when another user updates only a subset of the sources, for instance a set of files stored on OneDrive, then he can't refresh the multi-source dataset. This is the error message that he gets when he tries to take over the dataset settings :
Jean_77250_0-1631802271510.png

Jean_77250_1-1631802505716.png

Thank you for your feedback

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jean_77250 ,

Take a look at this blog and check if it's what you need.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/allow-end-users-to-refresh-dataset-whenever-they-want-on-deman... 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Jean_77250 ,

after taking over a data set you have to enter again the credentials. As the messages says, "Any stored credentials will be deleted when you take over". So after you take over the data set you have to add all of the credentials again with the "Edit credentials" button.

To be honest, I don't really understand what you want to do. Why do you want to take over the data set? Just update the underlying data set and then the dataset owner should schedule refreshes. Otherwise you could also trigger that with a Flow even within the Power BI report.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thank you Denis for your suggestions. Let me give you more details on the situation that our team is dealing with. 

There is an issue with the delay. We have also thought of a planned refresh during night time but this would last too long for our customer's requirements. He requires from us that his reports be up to date ASAP after he sends us a set of updated files. Ideally, any member of our team should able to upload these files to OneDrive and ASAP refresh the dataset and the reports in Power BI Service without any credential issue
then then the reports could be up to date and available to the custoomer's staff within a couple of hours at most after we receive the data files.
Best regards 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors