Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyLH2
Frequent Visitor

How to refresh PowerBI Service Data from Access Database on Network

I have an Access Database in our local Network drives which I manage a lot of our product & pricing information.

I've been testing PowerBI and want to find a way to make this information more accessible to our sales reps in the field from their mobile devices, but I understand the limitations of a local Access database.

I created a .PBIX file, and uploaded it into the PowerBI service, and I can see this information from my phone.

However, as expected, when I click Refresh, it does not refresh with new data from my Access Database.

How could I update information in my PowerBI Dataset from my Access Database?

If needed, I may be able to look into other gateway options, or SQL server options, if any of those are capable of updating cloud information instead.

Please let me know any tips you may have for this, I'm interested in any cost-efficient solutions which would allow me to make this information accessible via the PowerBI or Office 365 mobile apps.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

If not using a gateway, you will need to open the .pbix file in Power BI Desktop, then refresh the data, then re-publish the report

If you want to be able to refresh from the Power BI Service (Published Report and Dataset), you will need to install and configure a Power BI Gateway. The gateway will allow you to do a manual or scheduled refresh from the Power BI Service. Once the dataset is refreshed, the updated data is shown in the report- there is no need for the users to do anything.

Here is an article with a lot of information about the gateway:

https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Yes, the personal gateway will work for that.

What steps would that look like, if you could provide more detail?

I see in PowerBI service, there's a separation between my Data and my Report.

Does this mean that I only need to refresh my Data, which then other users could refresh the report for updated information?

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @AndyLH2 ,

If you want to be able to update from the Power BI Service, you will need to install a Gateway:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem

Thank you for clarifying,

I noticed that there is a difference between the normal On-Premises Data Gateway, and the On-Premises Data Gateway (personal).

Would the On-Premises Data Gateway (Personal) allow me to refresh the data, which would then be accessible by multiple users? 

I understand that other users will not be able to refresh a Personal gateway, which would be okay, as long as I can confirm that I am able to refresh the data for them

I see this on Microsoft's website:

AndyLH2_0-1677706629350.png

Just trying to confirm, if this allows me to refresh data, and share the updated reports with other users, that would meet my needs at this time

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors