Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to publish a custom usage report in the same App it shows usage statistics on?

Hi,

I've created a custom usage report (took the standard usage report and edited it to show usage on all reports in that App Workspace/App). This custom usage report is sitting in the App Workspace, along with all the reports it shows usage on. I have even taken a visual from the custom report and added to the dashboard in the App, just like all the reports having a visual on the dashboard too.

All looks fine from within the App Workspace. The custom usage report's dashboard tile, when clicked on, take you through to the custom usage report.

However, when I go to publish the App Workspace contents to the acutal App itself (i.e. Update app), I see on the 'navigation' screen the dashboard has disappeared from the list (the list that shows the dashboard or reports, in which you can order).

Why is this?
Cannot I not publish a custom usage report to the App itself?  If there is a way to do this then please tell me!

My aim is to allow non-App Workspace (non-admin/non-developer) colleagues to views the usage statisics of the reports in the App.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@D_PBI That's a weird one man, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler  - thanks for your response.

Before I raise an issue or ticket, I would just like to add the below, as it may be helpful to resolving my problem.

Capture.PNG

Take a look at the above screenshot.

It shows two reports. Firstly, the 'Usage Metrics for...' report (the report that when I add a tile, from it, to the dashboard, the dashboard dissappears from the update App list). Secondly, the WT report (again, there is a tile, from this report, that is added to the dashboard, in doing this the dashboard remains present).
Notice how the report I am trying to add to the dashboard is greyed out. It means that I cannot publish it to the App, and maybe that is why the dashboard disappears from the 'Update App' list, as it contains someting that isn't allowed.

Do you think this is the cause to what I've stated in my first message?
Why is it that my usage metric report cannot be published to the App (why is it greyed out?)?

I should just state that all the reports I can add to the dashboard, and Update app with, have their own Dataset in the App Workspace. The usage report, the report that I cannot successfully add to the dashboard and have it present after an Update app, is the only report without a Dataset - as the Dataset for this usage report is the Microsoft usage data held in the cloud itself.

Thanks.

BUMP... and...

I've come across this article that explains an usage metric report cannot be published to an App. The article also states that any visual, from the usage metric report, that is pinned to a dashboard will prevent that dashboard being published to an App.
So from this, I have my answers to why I cannot have my custom metrics report cannot be published to the App.

My question now is, is there any workaround to getting my customer usage metrics report published to the App via any means?
I cannot seem to download the custom metrics report. My thinking was to add a separate datasource to the custom metric report (in Desktop) and the publish the report to the App Workspace and, due to the custom metric report having a datasource, I would have the option of publishing the report to the App. However, as I cannot download the report, this idea is dead.

Any help on this guys?  Thanks.

I have the same issue

One last BUMP (anyone, please) 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors