Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GreggPowell
Helper I
Helper I

How to publish a Power BI Dash Board from the Service in a Canvas Power App ?

It dawned on me a few days back, After building multiple Power Apps Screen and trying to squeeze many embedded tiles from various Power BI Service Dashboard... It hit my - why the heck am I embedding all of these tiles - why not build a dashboard in the Power BI service, pin tiles from various reports to the dashboard(s), and then import or embed the entire Dashboard into (canvas) Power Apps.... and down the rabbit hole I went....

Turns out, You can either embed tiles from a dashboard in a workspace to a power app screen, or, you can embed the entire reports. But, it some kind of moronic twist, there is no way when editing the power app to embed the entire dashboard that I see.

I did find one video here:
Embedded Power BI Reports or Dashboards in Power Apps - Bing video

But, in this example, he is embedding it in a model driven app and not a canvas app. It involved adding the power BI dashboard to a power BI solution, and then importing the power bi dashboard in the solution into the power app. I can't imagine it is this dificult.

Is there a way to easily embed power bi dashboard in power apps, and if not - WHY NOT?

Short of that - I was thinging - I could embed the dashboard as a web element in an iFrame in Power Apps - but then, I see no link for the eneitre dashboard that does not have the virtical navigation pane/bar on the left side of the screen - so - how then to get a link to the ower BI Dashboard - with ONLY the dashboard contents, and not all the controls that come in the virtical navigation pane/bar on the left side of the screen.

Microsoft makes a lot of cool stuff - but then, sometimes, it falls flat on its face.

Thanks for any help or assistance anyone is willing to provide.

Gregg

Arizona, USA

6 REPLIES 6
GreggPowell
Helper I
Helper I

Actually, you can embed an entire Power BI report.

In the power BI report (opening it in the service once it is published), go to file>embed report>website or portal, and get the URL. Copy the URL provided (2nd image), Then insert a Power BI tile into the power app, and under the advance properties of the tile, past the URL into the "TileURL" field (2nd Picture).

I think there is some round about way to also embed an entire power BI service dashboard in a canvas app - but I have not sorted it out. In my first email, I posted a Youtube video of someone embedding a Dashboard into a model drive app.

The fact that there is no option to easily embed a dashboard into a power app is a serious shortcoming.

In the POwer BI service, the Dashboard should be primary way that a developer presents content to a user - but Dashboards are not treated by Microsoft as a primary Power BI content delivery method - I find this really very disappointing.  Dashboard should be at the forefront of what can be embedded from a power BI service.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

the Dashboard should be primary way that a developer presents content to a user

Dashboards are non-interactive.  They do not help with data discovery and  business decision support. Most they can do is serve as a hallway monitor.

The real power of Power BI is the report, and the ability to personalize the report visuals to quickly answer  the current business question and then move on. 

In my experience (and YMMV) Power BI is 99% reports and 1% dashboards.

Would still be nice if a dashboard could be embedded in a power app. If could truly serve as a dashboard, with links to many report tiles from various different reports - such that, clicking on any tile in the dashboard would navigate the user to the underlying report. As it stands now in Power Apps = we're stuck with one fixed size screen - an embedded Dashboard would provide much more real estate - so many tiles or even reports coould be added to one screen - it could even be embedded in an iFrame. How cool would that be? I wish!

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot embed Power BI reports or Power BI dashboards in PowerApps.  What you can embed is tiles, or more specifically, ONE tile.  Now that tile may represent a single visual, or it may represent a report page. That's about it.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

BTW - you can also embded many tiles in one power apps screen, and more than one report also - also in one screen - or across many screens.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors