Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nagaraju

How to pass the slicer(filter) values from one report to another report(not one page to another page

Hi Team, We have a requirement to pass the slicer(filter) values from one report to another report. I am not talking about passing from one page to another page in same report. It is possible to in IBM Cognos using passing data item values or parameter values in drill through options. But similar kind of functionality is not available in Power BI. When user is accessing State level report, there will be a link in report page to click to navigate to another report. As user has already selected slicer values in State level report, he doesn't need to select the same slicers again in child or navigated report. Please let us know if there is any direction to achieve this functionality.

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Nagaraju,

By my research, it seems that we may not have the option for us to pass the slicer values from one report to another report currently in Power BI.

You could post your new idea in Power BI idea forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, I have a situation where I need to send the filter values from Power BI report published on Power BI service to report builder as parameter values through URL. Do you have any idea on this? If yes, could you please help me out.
Nagaraju

Hi Team,

We have a requirement to pass the slicer(filter) values from one report to another report. Please note that it is not from one page to another page. It is possible in IBM Cognos by passing data item values or parameter values in drill-through options. We would like acheive the same technique in Power BI also.  There is a report called State Level report and there will be link on report page for child report(different report). When user clicks on that link, all the slicer selected values should be passed to child report as well. It means that child report also will get filterd automatically based on slicer values received from parent report. 

Regards,

P.Nagaraju

Hi @Nagaraju,

Drill-through filters are available in Power BI except that the way you will implement is different.

In IBM Cognos, you will have it as two different reports, but in Power BI you have it as 2 different pages. The Flexibility with passing values to the child report is not as versatile as it is with IBM Cognos. It has certain limitations on what you can pass to the child report

Regards,

Thejeswar

There's possibly a workaround for you. 

You'll need to create a dynamic measure that you can use as a URL to the report.

something like:

URL1 = "https: //app.powerbi.com/groups/you/report1/ ..." & IF(HASONEFILTER(Table[State]), "?Filter=Table/State eq" & MAXTable[State]),BLANK())

Here's some resources for you to review 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-url-filters

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-hyperlinks-in-tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors