Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CBO2404
Helper I
Helper I

How to organize workspaces with few reusable datasets and high degree of security?

What's the best way to organize workspaces? (Less maintenance and the greatest possible security)

I would like to:

• use one dataset for multiple reports (less maintenance in measures)
  • use a report for multiple groups of users (less maintenance in reportdesign)
  • define security on certain datasets with privacy-sensitive information (such as salary and absenteeism). I don't want employees to be able to access some (e.g. the salary) datasets.
  • have 1 app per group of people

This is the situation I have but the security is not okay. How can I organize this? Which workspaces can I create best with which permission.

Example.jpg

And how do I hide the dataset menu-option in the Apps environment for endusers?

Apps.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

- use distribution lists for app access, ideally these lists should be managed by an external access management tool

- use RLS and OLS, but only if absolutely required. Most of the time they are contraproductive

- you cannot hide the datasets from the users that have access to the apps.  "If you don't want them to steal your data, don't show them your data".   Think of it not only from the security perspective but also from the UX perspective.  If you frustrate your users they will seek help elsewhere.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

- use distribution lists for app access, ideally these lists should be managed by an external access management tool

- use RLS and OLS, but only if absolutely required. Most of the time they are contraproductive

- you cannot hide the datasets from the users that have access to the apps.  "If you don't want them to steal your data, don't show them your data".   Think of it not only from the security perspective but also from the UX perspective.  If you frustrate your users they will seek help elsewhere.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors