Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lotus99
Helper I
Helper I

How to migrate to new workspace?

I have a couple of dataflows designed with old workspace, now I'd like to create new dataflow linked to the existing ones as data source, therefore a new workspace is required. I'd like to know how to migrate our existing dataflows for the old workspace into the new one? so far I created a new workspace with the same name as the old one, I don't think it will work when I upgrade it to Primum workspace. in our organization we have to go through IT department to upgrade to Primum. 

Question:

1) how to migrate dataflows from old workspace to the new workspace?

2) can I keep the same name for the new workspace? since the workspace is the business unit name, given another name sounds strange.

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm also very much looking forward to the migration tool that is coming.

To add to that: You can actually export a dataflow like this:

image.png

And import it again in a new workspace by using Import Model:

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lotus99 ,

For your question1, Workspace upgrade feature has not released. You can check below link to know the plan of feature release: What’s new and planned for business intelligence#Power BI Service .

Feature

Release type

Date

Upgrade classic workspaces to the new workspace experience

Public Preview

Nov-19

And it is not supported to migrate dataflows from old workspace to the new workspace in Power BI currently.

For your question2, it is unavailable to keep the same name for two new workspace, while you can keep the same name for one classic workspace and one new workspace. To distinguish the workspace, you can also add suffix in the end of workspace name.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Amy.

What is your advice for now: should I start re-creating dataflows from scratch  with the new workspace in order to get linked dataflow feature, or wait for the new release with eventually migration feature? We have quite Entities in dataflow in classic workspace now. 

by the way I have another question about dataflow, when will have the Power BI dataflow as data source in Excel Power Query? I have already voted for the new idea. 

thank you, regards,

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm also very much looking forward to the migration tool that is coming.

To add to that: You can actually export a dataflow like this:

image.png

And import it again in a new workspace by using Import Model:

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi nickyvv,

Thank you very much for the tip! I'll try it. 

Dataflow is very nice feature. I'm looking forward for the access from Excel Power Query! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors