Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

malkha
Regular Visitor

How to manage view permissions

Hello all,

I have built a report for my company but dont want everyone to be able to view all the tabs in the report. i want the finance people to only be able to see the finance tabs and the execitives and VP's to see everything. is there a way to manage that in BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @malkha ,

>>I have built a report for my company but dont want everyone to be able to view all the tabs in the report.

If the "tabs" in your words above is referred to "Tables", you may set Row-Level Security (RLS) to manage roles, please see the link Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet, which described the detailed steps. Maybe it doesn't work, there are some tips to let it work and test it efficiently.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NAOS
Helper IV
Helper IV

If by "tabs" @malkha means "pages", then I have a similar situation and I would like to reactivate this thread.

Say I have "splitted" my report (as suggested by @v-xicai ) into two different reports so the VPs can access both reports and the Finance team can only access their correcponding report. But because they are both publish within the same app, app permissions share these reports with both user groups which doesn't work for this situation.

What I've done next, is to publish the datasets of the reports in a different workspace, and then publish the reports in the original workspace to share them through the app. This requires me to manage permissions on the datasets (bingo, or so I thought...)

Then in the app, if a Finance user tries to access the report they shouldn't look at for the first time, they get the "Request permissions" message (perfect!). If they come back to the app later and try to do this again, the message doesn't show and instead a grey page appears which doesn't even let them go back to their report...it freezes in a "Loading" message which evetuanlly never dissapears...

Am I doing something wrong? Who can I get this to work?

If I add the links of the reports to te app intead, then it works perfectly well.

Interested to know what the dev team thinks of this,

Kind regards

NAOS

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @malkha ,

>>I have built a report for my company but dont want everyone to be able to view all the tabs in the report.

If the "tabs" in your words above is referred to "Tables", you may set Row-Level Security (RLS) to manage roles, please see the link Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet, which described the detailed steps. Maybe it doesn't work, there are some tips to let it work and test it efficiently.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@malkha 

As of know there is now such type of functionality in RLS to hide the tabs based on roles.

Please vote for the idea in Power BI Ideas Forum page.

As a work-around, please split the report as per the business needs and publish, share the same to the business team.

Note:- For higher management (Executives or VP's) people, you can add them into the workspace as a admin/member.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Is there a video on youtube that you know of on how to do that? i dont think i know what you mean by "splitting the report".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors