Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to load month by month data in Power BI

Hi All.

I have a requirement to connect to a source system using Rest API. I would need the data from a table from the year 2019 till data. To reduce the load on the system, we are asked to load the data month by month from the year 2019. Could you please help me on how I can do a month by month load?

The Rest API used is as below which brings in data for Jan 2019, same way I need data till current data always month by month.

Untitled1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, you could create 12 queries, one for each month and do an Append at the end. So, first query, load. Turn off refresh. Second query, load, turn off refresh, etc. Then do an Append.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, you could create 12 queries, one for each month and do an Append at the end. So, first query, load. Turn off refresh. Second query, load, turn off refresh, etc. Then do an Append.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg_Deckler,

We are planning to go ahead with this approach, Could you please help clarify the below>

1. Say I created a query for Jan, Feb, March etc, I load this query,  then I go back to the editor and turn off refresh. Then I schedule the report in the Service.

By turning off refresh would I still get the changed records for these months ?

Thanks

Poojitha 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Power BI experts,

Can somone please help on providing the best approach for this as I am waiting for this to move ahead with one of the project. Your help will be much appreciated .

Thanks

Poojitha

Anonymous
Not applicable

But this will turn out to be a manual activity as every month a new query has to be created and appended as we always want the latest data.
We are looking for an automated solution .
Is there any other workaround ?

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can learn more about incremental refresh.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh 

Incremental refresh is generally available and supported in Pro.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to load all the data first and then later set up incremental refresh to pick on the new records? 

I tried to load the entire data by removing the date range parameter from the rest api and used the below api, but it gave me a time out error.

Untitled.png

Can somone pls provide inputs on this.? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
Thanks for providing the details , but in my case the Rest api itself is restricted to only to show one month . (Please refer the Screen shot attached in the question : highlighted in red).
In such case we are importing only one month data in the desktop .
Can you pls let me know how incremental refresh works here ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors