Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sirwittles

How to launch a report from a dashboard

FYI I am new to this!

I have a dashboard (powerbi embedded) that I want to add a report to. What I would like is for the user to be able to slice and dice the dashboard as needed, then have an 'Export' button on the dashboard that will pop-up a window that shows the associated report filtered to the user's selection. From there, the user can save the data as XLSX.  

I see there is a report widget, which looks like it will handle most of the above just fine, however I do not want it taking up my screen real estate all the time. Ideally the report widget would be hidden and then an export button would unhide it, and then it would hide again when the user clicks away, but I don't see that type of hide/unhide control available.

Curious to see what my option are or how others launch reports from dashboards? Thanks for any ideas!! 

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Welcome to Power BI.  You will find that we use a bit of a different terminology around here.

Report  = consists of visuals that the user can interact with. Data is refreshed on a schedule or the report is connected directly to the data source, and the user interaction refreshes the visuals. Reports are interactive.

Dashboard = consists of tiles that can be report visuals, report pages, or other contents. Data is automatically refresh when the underlying dataset is changed. No user interaction required. In fact, user interaction is limited to hovering over the tiles, or clicking on tiles which takes you to the underlying report.

Maybe you can reformulate your question?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors