Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

t-atgeor
Employee
Employee

How to improve performance?

Hi,

Could you please advise on any ideas how to increase the performance of PowerBI, once it is online and shared with others? I do have in the back database 5 tables with substantial amount of data, which would increase over time. For now, the dashboard works properly, however, once reshared lags slightly.

I understand that PowerBI is not that powerful, however, I suppose there are some tricks/tips I could use to improve overall performance.

Thank you.

Atanas

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @t-atgeor,

Based on my research, the performance lags slightly issue when refreshing data source occur not only on Power BI, but also on other report tool. Since it takes a lot of resources to refresh data.

Besides ankitpatira's suggestions you could scheduled refresh your data at free time, such as midnight. Please refer to the link below to see how to configure scheduled refresh you Power BI report.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-scheduled-refresh/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@t-atgeor Depending on the problem you're facing it can be looked at to improve performance within your report. In general I would suggest,

1 Make sure data you publish to report is only what you require ie for a sales report you only publish data for past 2-3 years if that is all going to be analysed instead using whole table.

2. Explore possibility of DirectQuery which in some cases can be better solution than Import.

3. In my experience I've realised using Page / Report level filters have better performance than using visual-level filters. 

4. Try avoiding too complex measures / calculated columns instead do them at the data source level.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors