Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rayzo92
Helper I
Helper I

How to implement RLS even while working with the dataset/datasource

Greeting dear members , 

I have a problem in one of my project and hope you guys can help me with a trick i dont know (in my company we do have premium license for information ) : 

I have project where i have 2 type of users , user who can have view the application and users who can view the application and also can modify the reports .

My data source is a power BI data set connected in mode import to an SQL server database and all my report are using direct connection to connect to the dataset and i have RLS implemented within the data set .

Ex : let's say i have users from france and i want these users to see only data related to france , so i create a role and i filter to france data only , all good so far , the issue start when these users want to use to the dataset , the problem they can see all the data . that's my issue . in general how i can keep the RLS implemented even while creating visuals via the dataset ?

Thanks all in advance.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Rayzo92 

How are the users accessing the Dataset ?

Generally, if you have implemented RLS on a Dataset, if you share a Report from that Dataset with a user (or the user is a "viewer" in the Workspace), that user is subject to RLS in the Report AND the underlying Dataset. They can access the Dataset via the "Data Hub", or connected to it via Power BI Desktop and build new Reports based on the Dataset but are subject to RLS on that Dataset.

All you need is to ensure is they have "Build" rights on the Dataset, and even though they are subject to RLS they will be able to build Reports with the data they are allowed to access. Conversely, if you revoke "Build" rights on the Dataset the users will not be able to build Reports on that Dataset.

Of course if you make the User anything other than a "Viewer" in the Workspace, or give them "Write" permissions on the Dataset they will not be subject to RLS and will see all data.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Rayzo92 

How are the users accessing the Dataset ?

Generally, if you have implemented RLS on a Dataset, if you share a Report from that Dataset with a user (or the user is a "viewer" in the Workspace), that user is subject to RLS in the Report AND the underlying Dataset. They can access the Dataset via the "Data Hub", or connected to it via Power BI Desktop and build new Reports based on the Dataset but are subject to RLS on that Dataset.

All you need is to ensure is they have "Build" rights on the Dataset, and even though they are subject to RLS they will be able to build Reports with the data they are allowed to access. Conversely, if you revoke "Build" rights on the Dataset the users will not be able to build Reports on that Dataset.

Of course if you make the User anything other than a "Viewer" in the Workspace, or give them "Write" permissions on the Dataset they will not be subject to RLS and will see all data.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks for you reply , 

pretty much this is what i have done ! i shared the dataset with the viewers and i added the build mode aswell ! and the RLS was applied to the dataset 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors