cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to identify which data set is used by a report and how to know where the data set come from?

@ZoeC...can u explain more how u did this,...where did you create this query 'select 1 as 'datasetname' ?
zoec2 New Member

Re: How to identify which data set is used by a report and how to know where the data set come from?

Sure.  I am putting it in the dataset directly.   So if it's a tabular model on Analysis Services I just include a table that is the SQL query select 1 as 'datasetname'.  If I am building the data model in power bi directly, I can add a table using Enter Data to do it manually as well.  In that case I could change the Column1 name to the name of the dataset (or what I want to say), then for a value put 1.  (you could get fancy and make this a URL too, or last refresh date, whatever you want).  Then name the Table to be "Where is this data from?".   For multiple sources, I can just add additional columns.  The reason I use column names is that I can then see the sources in the fields pane directly.  

The goal is just a way to determine where the data is from when looking at the published data set, without having to create any visualization. https://imgur.com/N1lOML1