Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kerry_M
Helper I
Helper I

How to have two reports built in PBI Desktop use the same dataset in Power BI Service

Until now, I have always built my reports in Power BI Desktop then uploaded them to the Power BI service. The data was automatically uploaded to the service when I uploaded the report. 

Today I made two reports which use exactly the same, very large, data set. I uploaded them to the Service and now I have two duplicate datasets in the service - which seems redundant. I have two questions:

1) Is there any way that I can delete one of these datasets in the service and change the datasource of that second report to use the first loaded dataset?

2) I want to build more reports using this same data set - what is the best way to do this? Do I have to build all my reports in the Service from now on or can I use Power BI Desktop but somehow refer to the dataset that is loaded in the Power BI Service?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Kerry_M 

There are a number of ways of doing this.

Firstly, if you delete a Dataset all the Reports associated with it will be deleted. However I assume you have a PBIX file on your machine that you published to create the Dataset, so you can delete the 2nd Dataset without worrying.

There are several ways to build a Report based on an existing Dataset. As you noted, you can do it from Power BI service, on the Dataset more options (three dots) select "Create Report" and away you go.

However you can also use Power BI Desktop to do this, and I think it is the better way.

From a new Power BI Desktop select either "Get Data" , "Power Platform", "Power BI Dataset" or simply pick "Power BI Dataset" from the top menu.

Burningsuit_0-1637163986181.png

This will then list the Datasets you have access to and are able to create Reports for. Once you've selected the Dataset you want, click "Create" and you will be connected to the Dataset, and able to build a new report. You can cut-and-paste visuals from another Power BI Desktop, so if you want to re-build the 2nd report you had, open that Report and copy the Visualisations from that to this new instance.

You can then publish as usual, and you have two reports depending from one Dataset.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

Here is another option to rebuild the second report that I found useful

https://youtu.be/gmbihm3QsaI

Thanks,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kerry_M
Helper I
Helper I

This is brilliant! And a very easy to follow video. Thank you so much.

Kerry_M
Helper I
Helper I

PERFECT! Thanks very much this is what I needed to know.

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Kerry_M 

There are a number of ways of doing this.

Firstly, if you delete a Dataset all the Reports associated with it will be deleted. However I assume you have a PBIX file on your machine that you published to create the Dataset, so you can delete the 2nd Dataset without worrying.

There are several ways to build a Report based on an existing Dataset. As you noted, you can do it from Power BI service, on the Dataset more options (three dots) select "Create Report" and away you go.

However you can also use Power BI Desktop to do this, and I think it is the better way.

From a new Power BI Desktop select either "Get Data" , "Power Platform", "Power BI Dataset" or simply pick "Power BI Dataset" from the top menu.

Burningsuit_0-1637163986181.png

This will then list the Datasets you have access to and are able to create Reports for. Once you've selected the Dataset you want, click "Create" and you will be connected to the Dataset, and able to build a new report. You can cut-and-paste visuals from another Power BI Desktop, so if you want to re-build the 2nd report you had, open that Report and copy the Visualisations from that to this new instance.

You can then publish as usual, and you have two reports depending from one Dataset.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Here is another option to rebuild the second report that I found useful

https://youtu.be/gmbihm3QsaI

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors