Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sebastienke
Helper III
Helper III

How to give an access to a report without sending email ?

Hi Power BI people, 

In a previous version of Power BI service (that I was still using a few weeks ago), I had the possibility to share a report by entering an email address and to chose to not send email (or any notification). So I was able to share report for all members of my company without annoying the ones that are not directly concerned (I was using a global email address as everyone_at_company.com). With this solution, the ones not concerned was able to check the report (which is ok) but was not advised for any new features that can be unsignificant.

But now i can't find this option anymore, I can't imagine myself typing one by one the emaill adress of people concerned (that could be different for each report) or by sending an email to all the company everytime I need to share a new version or a new report (not always significant, and not everody concerned).

Do you have a way to use the same old method described ?

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @sebastienke 

This is a common question now that Microsoft have changed the sharing interface. 

You still can share without sending email, but the new sharing method has made it a little more difficult. Now when you go to "Share Report" you get a "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where your can select the report recipients and untick the "send an email notification" then click "grant access". The report will appear in the recipients "shared with me" folder with no email notification sent.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sebastienke
Helper III
Helper III

@Burningsuit Thank you !
Now that you said it, it seems obvious...... but it was a good hide.
Thank you for your quick and helpfull answer.

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @sebastienke 

This is a common question now that Microsoft have changed the sharing interface. 

You still can share without sending email, but the new sharing method has made it a little more difficult. Now when you go to "Share Report" you get a "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where your can select the report recipients and untick the "send an email notification" then click "grant access". The report will appear in the recipients "shared with me" folder with no email notification sent.

Hope this helps

Stuart

If I understand it correctly, only when I give access and thick the "email" option, user will be notified? no other way to get him notified? 

It is interesting because we had that "issue" last week, where many users (using link) wanted access, ni problem, we did/gave it, but the user didnt get any notification that "passage" was granted. I tested that on dummy email and it is really like that. Some users are thinking I am not getting any info - I will not open the link anymore.. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors