Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Roberto456
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to get SharePoint/OneDrive to update Datasets on Power bi Service

Hello All.

I have a PBIX file connected through the web to a OneDrive Excel Document.

When the excel document is updated the Dataset is not.

How can I get people accessing the OneDrive Excel file to automatically refresh the Power BI Service dataset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did a Check and changed the excel document and set the automatic refresh, and nothing happened to the PBI document.

Never mind it did update, just 15 minutes late.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Ah, the eternal mystery.  Microsoft documentation states that datasets with Onedrive data sources are refreshed every hour automatically. We don't see that in our tenant. 

We advise our users to setup scheduled refresh in Power BI service, or API based refresh in Power Automate  (when a sharepoint file is modified, initiate a dataset refresh). NOTE1:  a refresh request is ignored/fails when a refresh is currently in progress. NOTE2: the number of permitted schedules and API calls is controlled by your Power BI capacity SKU.

Im not sure what any of that means lol, i dont work in IT or anyhting to do with infrastrucure 😞

I saw a video somewhere where you can load a data source into the power BI service only by doing the import data into the workspace, but I cant seem to load data that is only shared with me and not my own document.

I did a Check and changed the excel document and set the automatic refresh, and nothing happened to the PBI document.

Never mind it did update, just 15 minutes late.

Nothing will happen to the Power BI document . The change will be to the dataset on the service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors