Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to find IP Address of PowerBI Tenant

We need to connect PowerBI to a 3rd party SQL database.   The 3rd party is asking for our IP address(es).  How do I find out where my PowerBI tenant is located?   I certainly can't provide the entire country/region list.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here's a list about the supported data sources in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
technolog
Super User
Super User

@v-jayw-msft @monty @Burningsuit 

Please share your experience if possible! How do you have everything set up now? Did everything work stably using ip-whitelist? Have you tried using domains?

monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

Although there are some considerations such as not being fixed, the list shown on https://forums.invantive.com/t/power-bi-service-ip-addresses/3132 displays all known IP-addresses which are used by Power BI service to connect to sources from Europe and North America.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is no single IP address for Power BI. The azure services are running in a range of IP addresses, which by definition are dynamic and can change in time. You can get the current IP address range for the public cloud here - Azure IP Ranges and Service Tags – Public Cloud. For Power BI and Power Query it contains hundreds of address ranges. This file is updated weekly.

Best Regards,

Jay

Anonymous
Not applicable

can I configure the PowerBI gateway as the source IP for this scenario?

Hi @Anonymous ,

The on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge to provide quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data and several Microsoft cloud services. I don't quite understand what you mean about configuring the gateway as IP.

Best Regards,

Jay

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we use PBI Gateway to connect to a 3rd party data source?    If not, what other options do we have to bring 3rd party data into PBI online services?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here's a list about the supported data sources in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources 

Best Regards,

Jay

I too have run into this conundrum. My Power BI cloud data connector needs to access an Azure MySQL flexible server resource. All within our same tenant space. I have Networking firewall rules in place for Azure MySQL, that allow in all of our on-premise networks, along with checking the option for “Allow public access from any Azure service within Azure to this server.” I would _assume_ that this option being checked would allow the Power BI cloud data connector to access Azure MySQL. Apparently not. The only way I can get PBI to connect is by allowing in all public IP's.

Seeing the long dynamic list of Azure public IP's that Microsoft publishes, maintaining such in the Networking firewall rules is ungainly at best. Especially since there doesn't appear to be the ability to import in a list. 😞 

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

If you go to your Power BI service in the browser, click on the Settings (...) next to your profile name, and select "Help and Support", then "About Power BI"..

Burningsuit_0-1633682415846.png

You'll get a card showing the location your data is stored in, and your tenant URL.

It's still going to be hard getting IP addresses, (it's a big list)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56519

consider asking your provide to use domain instead.

Allowed address lists and network connections - Azure DevOps | Microsoft Docs 

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

can I configure the PowerBI gateway as the source IP for this scenario?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors