Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to export dashboard as pbix file or equivalent

Hi All,

I need help on how to move dashboards created in one account to another without using app workspace concept.

For Example:

Account Name: Development

Reports Involved: Sales Report, Inventory Report

Dashboard Name: Sales vs Inventory Dashboard

- In dev environment I have created two reports as mentioned above from two different datasets

- Created a dashboard "Sales vs Inventory Dashboard" which has tiles from both the reports

- Now i want to move this reports and dashboards to testing environment ( i.e.) another pbi account with name testing)

- I know reports can be moved by using pbix file, But how can we move the dashboard created????

- Do we need to recreate them or any other alternate method is available to do this?

- I mainly want to do like this because my dev account gateway is connected to dev database and testing account gateway is    connected to testing database and i dont have access to testing account

Additional Question:

Can we change the dataset of a report?

Thanks,

Dinesh J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If you keep the reports and dashboards on test Power BI service and dev database contains the same data as test database, the easy way is to share a report/dashboard from test Power BI to dev Power BI.

As dashboard is created from reports, it doesn't have its own "file" as the report. If the share report/dashboard feature above doesn't meet your requirement, you need to publish the pbix file to dev Power BI, then pin report visuals to create a new dashboard. To ensure the report/dashboard gets updated data, you need to configure the dataset to use gateway to do refresh. 

To change dataset of the report, we need to open the report in Power BI desktop, then go to Data Source Settings-> Change Source. 

q2.PNGq3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If you keep the reports and dashboards on test Power BI service and dev database contains the same data as test database, the easy way is to share a report/dashboard from test Power BI to dev Power BI.

As dashboard is created from reports, it doesn't have its own "file" as the report. If the share report/dashboard feature above doesn't meet your requirement, you need to publish the pbix file to dev Power BI, then pin report visuals to create a new dashboard. To ensure the report/dashboard gets updated data, you need to configure the dataset to use gateway to do refresh. 

To change dataset of the report, we need to open the report in Power BI desktop, then go to Data Source Settings-> Change Source. 

q2.PNGq3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft thanks for the replay, Now i'm clear with the dashboard exporting part

- We can share the dashboard or re-create it

But little confused in the dataset remapping part :

More explanation :

- I have a report A with dataset A

- I have one more report B with dataset B

- Both dataset A and B has same data

- Now i want to make the  report B to point to dataset A, Is this possible ?

- If i can achieve this i can delete the dataset B and save some space

Thanks,

Dinesh J

Hi @Anonymous,

We can't rematch the published report and dataset on Power BI service currently. We need to modify the data source in report via Power BI desktop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors