Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirman
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to enable drill-down by default in Power BI?

Hi,

I have designed number of reports using Power BI desktop and uploaded them on PowerBI portal. My most of the reports have charts having drill-down feature. They work seamlessly and quite well. However, whenever a user opens any report through the PowerBI site, the drill-down is disabled by default, and user has to manually enable drill-down (by clicking on "Turn on drill-down" button). How can I publish my reports with drill-down enabled by default?

11 REPLIES 11
VFXPro
Advocate II
Advocate II

Another great idea dying in this forum cemetary...

Kmcdonald
Helper III
Helper III

Has this been added yet?

I'm using the new field parameters with a drilled down matrix table. It takes away the drill down every time I use my field parameters in a slicer.

So id love to figure out a way to lock or make my certain drill down as the default...

Nart
Frequent Visitor

I had the same challenge. And while we wait for the development team to tackle that, I put a button on top of the bar that the user is supposed to click (with a magnifier icon and an appropriate tooltip) and defined the action to go to a bookmark that I saved in the drilled visualisation. works well.

Untitled.png

kishorekvn
Frequent Visitor

You may not find that option while creating dashboard in desktop application. But once you publish, you can navigate to your reports page(app.powerbi.com) and click on your visual, click on explore option, click drill down on. This will turn on drill down to that visualization. While presenting the deck or dashboard, no need of clicking arrow to activate drill down any more it will get activated by default.

@nirman 

This did not work. Where is the "Explore option"? Do you have a screenshot? I went to my app.powerbi.com, and went to the report and clicked drill down, but when I refresh the report in sharepoint, the Drill Down option defaults to off. If you can indeed get it to default to on, please provide more information, thanks!

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@nirman This is not the right forum to ask this question. Please move your question to Power BI Service forum.

I can confirm the behavior. It is impossible to save the status of the 'enable drill down' button in a report. Regardless of the status at save time, the functionality is always toggled off in reports accessed later.

This is confirmed in both the Desktop and Service report interfaces.

Make sure you send feedback through the feedback menu item about this behavior. Also feel free to submit it as an idea on this community site. Those are the official bug report and feature request media. The forum, while viewed by Microsoft employees is not the official avenue for these items. It's great to post here to share findings with other users, though, so thank you.

I know this is an old conversation, but came across it as i have the same frustration.  For anyone else needing this functioanlity, there is an Idea you can vote on here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/11718786-drill-mode-by-default

I see that original idea as marked as complete so they're probably not monitoring it anymore. Is there a new idea to revisit this much-needed enhancement?

2 years later and this is still not available 😞 shocking really. Has anyone figured out a work-around by any chance?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors