Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vitaliy
Helper I
Helper I

How to embed Power BI report in MS Teams Channel of external organization

Hello everyone!

I can't find clear documentation on this issue:
Inside my organization "A", I have a report, which stored in non-premium workspaces. I can embed this report in my MS Teams without any problems.
There is a user from organization "B", who is a guest user in my organization "A" (created and invited through Azure AD as well).
I gave direct access to the report to this user. In MS Teams of my organization, this user sees the report (which added as a tab in Channel) and everything is fine. Of course, my account and account of the user from "B" organization have PRO licenses.

But, there is a problem to somehow embed this report in the MS Teams of a user from organization "B" (for example, inside some channel). When we try to do this, the user simply does not see this report and, accordingly, cannot add it in any way.

The main idea is that the user from organization "B" will post the report in his MS Teams in some channel or channels to show it to his colleagues. In theory, if I gave him the rights to share the report, then he can do it without problems.
Can someone please explain what are the limitations and is it possible to do this at all?

Surely someone faced a similar problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vitaliy ,

According to my understanding, when embedding report in Teams, you can only select reports from your tenant. The user of organization B can only access the content you shared with him if he is logged into the tenant of organization A. As shown below, when he opens the content you shared, we can see that the URL contains the tenant id of organization A. Therefore, when the user embeds a report in the Teams of organization B, he will not be able to find the report shared by organization A. 

vkkfmsft_0-1643334223916.png  vkkfmsft_4-1643334613577.png

A workaround is to embed a website in Teams using a link of the report published to web, so that the users of organization B can view the embedded report without requiring access permission to the report and without requiring a pro license.

vkkfmsft_2-1643334300274.png   vkkfmsft_1-1643334274147.png

vkkfmsft_3-1643334339232.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vitaliy ,

According to my understanding, when embedding report in Teams, you can only select reports from your tenant. The user of organization B can only access the content you shared with him if he is logged into the tenant of organization A. As shown below, when he opens the content you shared, we can see that the URL contains the tenant id of organization A. Therefore, when the user embeds a report in the Teams of organization B, he will not be able to find the report shared by organization A. 

vkkfmsft_0-1643334223916.png  vkkfmsft_4-1643334613577.png

A workaround is to embed a website in Teams using a link of the report published to web, so that the users of organization B can view the embedded report without requiring access permission to the report and without requiring a pro license.

vkkfmsft_2-1643334300274.png   vkkfmsft_1-1643334274147.png

vkkfmsft_3-1643334339232.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I found some comments about this question here: answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/ 
Seems that your "colleague" commented:
"The option to allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization lets you give guest users the ability to see and create content in workspaces, including browsing your organization's Power BI.
So, If I set to enable this option, external guest users (for example for special Security group only) will see shared reports? Or I misunderstood this answer?

Thanks!

Hi @Vitaliy ,

The option "allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization" refers to allowing guest users to log in to your tenant and then access and edit the content on your tenant.

For example, I added a guest user to my Winniz_Learn Test workspace as the Member role.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 092727.png

When this guest user logs into his own tenant (as shown below https://msit.powerbi.com/), he cannot see the Winniz_Learn Test workspace and cannot access the content of this workspace.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 093137.png

vkkfmsft_1-1643767833822.png

I need to provide him with my tenant URL, which he then uses to log into my tenant in order to see the Winniz_Learn Test workspace.

vkkfmsft_0-1643766253794.png

Screenshot 2022-02-02 095820.png

vkkfmsft_2-1643767880754.png

This is also mentioned in the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b#guest-users-who-can-edit-and-ma... 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors