Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calamityjen

How to discover uncertified visuals in a tenant

Is there a way to find out if there are any uncertified visuals in use in the tenant at all?

Or if there is an approval process that can be added when someone wants to use an uncertified visual in the tenant?

Thanks

CJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I do not think so. Power Shell commands run against the dataset, and tools like Tabular Editor cannot see the report layer. 

The only other way I can think of is to just look at every PBIX file that is published, which would be a major pain. Even trying to automate that you'd have to:

1. Get all PBIX files in one place
  2. unzip them all (.pbix is just a .zip file)
  3. look at the JSON inside the file for the report layer and find visual names that aren't certified.

As you can see, this is one of those things that is best done at the beginning of a Power BI implementation. Doing it at the end will either be disruptive to users, or tedious to the person assigned to look at every PBIX file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

You can simply turn on requiring certified only in the tenant settings.

edhans_0-1677778500825.png

Any reports using them will have a gray box where that visual is.

To then certify a visual, you add it to the Organizational Visuals section in the admin portal. Those visuals will be available to users and will again work in the service.

I would read this entire article before making changes. It does a deep dive on this topic. Organizational visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks - is there any other way that you know of?  My worry is that we have many many workspaces and reports in the tenant, and just turning this setting on and waiting to see who complains, may not be an approach that goes down too well.

I was hoping there may be some method for checking all reports and if any of those use uncertified visuals, so I can then approach those workspace owners and see what can be done up front.  

I do not think so. Power Shell commands run against the dataset, and tools like Tabular Editor cannot see the report layer. 

The only other way I can think of is to just look at every PBIX file that is published, which would be a major pain. Even trying to automate that you'd have to:

1. Get all PBIX files in one place
  2. unzip them all (.pbix is just a .zip file)
  3. look at the JSON inside the file for the report layer and find visual names that aren't certified.

As you can see, this is one of those things that is best done at the beginning of a Power BI implementation. Doing it at the end will either be disruptive to users, or tedious to the person assigned to look at every PBIX file.

Hmm.... there are so many, you're right, it'd be a pain - thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors