cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlAlawiAlawi Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: How to disable the automatic inline hierarchy???

Cat SadMan SadRobot Sad

resilience required from this .... Not enough to Frown anymore.

SKM_Data Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hey Amanda, Is there an update as to when this issue will be resolved?  All of my expand down layers in all of my visuals no longer make sense because of in-line hierarchy being applied when my data isn't truly a hierarchy (they are distinct layers/angles at which we look at data).

Thanks!

Sean

Power BI Team LanceDelano
Power BI Team

Thank you for your comment.  We are immediately working on a button that will preserve the old behavior and new separate button that will enable the new behavior.  I can't promise an exact timeline at this point, but we have heard the feedback and consider this a super high priority.  So, it will be soon.  The new behavior, as a side comment, will improve in readability over time as well. 

Lance
Power BI Team LanceDelano
Power BI Team

Thank you for your comment.  Similar to what you have suggested, we are immediately working on a button that will preserve the old behavior and new separate button that will enable the new behavior.  I can't promise an exact timeline at this point, but we have heard the feedback and consider this a super high priority.  So, it will be soon.  The new behavior, as a side comment, will improve in readability over time as well. 

Lance
Tishchenko Established Member
Established Member

WoW! Super! Thanks!

@zapppsr - this is you idea (two separated buttons) Smiley Happy

zapppsr Member

Hi @Tishchenko, thanks for the heads up!

@Amanda, thank you for sharing the ideas of this post with Power BI Team.

@LanceDelano, thank you for keeping us updated about the process of adjusting this nice features.

Adding a new button is really a good solution because we are going to benefit both ways of drill down: Hierarchycal and non-hierarchycal.

This type of feedback and response is what makes this an extraordinary community, which I'm glad to be part of.

Thank you again!

zapppsr Member

Hi!

I stumbled upon another undesired effect of the hierarchycal drill down.

When you go one drill down level for instance, the cross filter on other visuals will respect the highest hierarchy, not the current level.

Eg.:

First level City

Second level Product

The second level of the old drill down is Product. So if I drill down and have Product A and Product B, if I click in Product B on the chart, all visuals on that report will be filtered by Product B.

The second level of the hierarchycal drill down is City - Product. If I drill down I will have City 1 - Product A, City 1 - Product B. And here comes the undesired effect: If I click in City 1 - Product B, the visuals will be filtered by City 1, completelly ignoring Product B. (I found it out on the hardest way, in the middle of a presentation).

I'm adding this to be sure that this solution with two buttons, (one button keeping the old method) really keeps all funtionalities of the old method, including this one.

I really hope this is solved by next week.

Thanks again!

PS.: And by the way, I wouldn't mark this post as solved until it is delivered, at least in the Power BI Online Service.

Tishchenko Established Member
Established Member

Hi, @zapppsr , I'm unmark "Solved!" for this post.
Thanks for you "new investiagtion" ;-)

SKM_Data Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft team on this thread,

Has there been any update or can any timeline be given as to when a solution (or at least the old behavior) will be incorporated back into the service?  I have the launch of PBI at my company on hold until this feature is back.  I think you will find out that this feature (non-inline hierarchy drill down) is someething that most everyday users are going to find to be extraordinary (so many people in so many organizations rely on reports cut from so many varying hierarchies and this eliminates that).  I bet you're also finding that the in-line hierarchy feature is not quite ready for primetime, as perhaps the biggest challenge for dashboard authors is room and the in-line hierarchy feature (not that I would use it, as my data isn't structured as such) doesn't present very well in visuals at present.

Please provide your vest estimate of a fix date if you can, as this was a major (albeit probabaly uninentional) step babckwards.

zapppsr Member

Hi @SKM_Data. I totally agree with you about the majority of users relying on the old drill down behavior. It is so versatile and allow us to simplify the reports, because we can have one chart visual with many different layers of independent hierarchy drill downs.

At first I was confident about a quick solution, because @Amanda and @LanceDelano were giving us constant feedback, but now it already took some time, and we are going to the second week after we reported it.

I'm also holding some "repairing" on my reports, hoping for a solution this week. They don't need to fix it right away on Power BI Desktop, as long as they put the button on Power BI Online Service.

I hope they break the silence, because all we need is to know they are working with us, with a goal in sight.

Let's have faith!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 345 members 3,455 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: