Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to disable the automatic inline hierarchy???

Please, make this new (from august update) fiture optional!!! (on/off)

inline.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @LanceDelano! Seems, last service build 13.0.1605.489 works exactly as you promised!

But i'm have some question about buttons image quality. (see picture. This screenshot was made from Edge with 200% zoom)

ugly.png

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
sshekar7
Frequent Visitor

All my report labels on hierarchy field looks bad all of sudden. I believe this is because of new inline feature you guys are discussing. Can you please confirm if this is same issue which powerbi team has said they would fix.

Here is my before and after image on how the labels look. "All occupation" is the top level of hierarchy(level 1) and even if i am at lowest level (3 level down) the labels are "Level 1" + "Level 2" + "Level 3"... while earlier it used to show only the label at which level i was drilling to.

inline before.JPGinline after.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sshekar7 yes this is the same issue in this thread. There's also thread in the actual issues forum, but there's more feedback from Microsoft on this thread regarding updates. No ETA yet, but they say it should be soon.

cool.. thanks.. glad i did not break my head trying to fix this myself.

przemekkucia
Advocate II
Advocate II

I don't see the other issue with this inline hierarhy update described above: The measures used in visual are calculated to the item in the top of the hierarhy despite being drilled down to more detailed view.

Example:

We have a Team and Product Managers in that team. We have "Wow factor" target per product. We create a mesure to calculate the targets:

PM_A: 100 wows

PM_B: 200 wows

Team_A: 300 wows

When I put Team_A above PMs in visual and then drill down, the tooltip shows me that PM_A has a WOW target of 300

It destroys informational value of most of the dashboards we publish to our colleagues

Not exactly sure how you've written your measure.  There are lots of ways to author these kinds of measures.  However, the point is that a simple aggregate (e.g., SUM, AVG, etc.) with no Calculate or other mucking with the filter context will automatically filter the data to be at the leaf level of the hierarchy.  So, say a measure of Average NPS (Net Promoter Score) that is calculated as you go down a hierarchy (Say Region and then Product) will absolutely work correctly.  At a leaf level (Say Washington State and then Product A) the data will be filtered to WA and then Product A and the aggregate (Avg) will aggregate over that data.  When you move up to just Region you would be able to see the Avg NPS for WA. 

All that said, we are finally very very close to publishing an update that will give the old button the old behavior and a separate new button that will enable the new behavior.  As Alex mentioned on a different response, there were some issues in terms of how these features worked with other parts of the product that we had to work through.  That is all done now and we've begun the update process.  Again, I don't want to give a specific day (since delays seem to inevitably happen) but process wise now it's a matter of getting it posted and aligned with the service.

Lance

Thanks @LanceDelano! Seems, last service build 13.0.1605.489 works exactly as you promised!

But i'm have some question about buttons image quality. (see picture. This screenshot was made from Edge with 200% zoom)

ugly.png

Yep.  I said it would were very close.  Please let us know what you think of the functionality. 

On the icons, Yes, the ones you are calling beautiful are font icons.  The others are bitmaps.   We would like all of the icons in these kinds of areas to be font icons because they scale much better and thus look better on all resolutions.  The bitmap icons are generally from an earlier time in the product.  We would like to replace the older bitmap icons.  We'll get there.

Lance

Great.. it solved the label issues i have having.. Thanks Lance.

Solution is rolled out for Power BI Service and new Desktop installer is available on the Download center.

More details in the blog post here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/august-power-bi-desktop-update-updated-drill-experience/

Alex.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexGorev, While this subject is hot, why not add a third drill down that Drills down the same as the old drill down as well as filters the rest of the page?!?!? That would be amazing! The basic idea has 2,000+ votes and no updates in a long time. Link Below...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6709520-drill-down-should-drill-o...

Great reminder, Mike!  And also while the subject is still at the forefront, it would be a nice enhancement if a user hovered over the up or down arrow if a tooltip popped up to let the user know what the next level would reveal (or to give the dashboard author that ability).  I have always found that space is always at a premium in dashboard report tabs and currently I have to either use a text box to let a user know what will be uncovered or let them just find out for themselves (if I don't want a very long and awkwark visual title).

Again, great job and thanks!  Your attentiveness is a great sign of things to come!

Hi @AlexGorev@LanceDelano@Amanda and all folks on this thread.

I'm really glad with the result of this implementation in Power BI. Now we have two options and much more flexibility.

It was nice to see everybody working together from the start and now being able to see the improvement online.

Soon we are getting close to the end of the month and a new Power BI Desktop release is coming and we will be synchronized again.

This collaboration shows that this community is very useful and really get things done.

Thanks again for listening to us!

Hi @zapppsr,

New Desktop release with the fix is avalable today from the download center.

Alex.

Hi @AlexGorev. Thanks for the heads up! Now I downloaded and updated Power BI Desktop and everything is fine like before. Thanks again!!!

Hi @AlexGorev@LanceDelano@Amanda and all folks on this thread.

I'm really glad with the result of this implementation in Power BI. Now we have two options and much more flexibility.

It was nice to see everybody working together from the start and now being able to see the improvement online.

Soon we are getting close to the end of the month and a new Power BI Desktop release is coming and we will be synchronized again.

This collaboration shows that this community is very useful and really get things done.

Thanks again for listening to us!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @AlexGorev, this is a tremendous help!

yixiangwang

who every come up with the automatic inline hierarchy function is a moreon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diable it when the next update.

Learn how Tableau to their things ok?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amanda and @LanceDelano,

I've found an additional Issue with this update that is pretty significant. When focusing on a visual that has drill down information, it's not providing the proper filtering to visuals that are linked to it. I know you guys are working on it but it needs to be quick, my teams are losing faith in the product. See below for an example:

Two Different Visuals at Top Level Have Everything CorrectAt Top Level Focusing on one Visual updates other visual correctly but make not of the total for this oneDrilled Down on the first item and then focused on the first item below. 2nd Visual is not filtering but showing the Total from top level of this itemFrom the original I did a Drill Down on All then focused on the first item. All numbers for top level of drill down coming back on 2nd visual.

AlAlawiAlawi
Helper I
Helper I

Cat SadMan SadRobot Sad

resilience required from this .... Not enough to Frown anymore.

Amanda
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone! Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful for us! I just want to let everyone know we hear you and are looking into this, both ways to improve the experience and giving y'all finer control over how the feature works. 

@zapppsr The fact that you are lossing your legend is a bug, we are looking into it right now and working on a fix.

@Tishchenko, would you mind sending me your pbix file so we can investigate a bit more? You can send it to amac@microsoft.com. If you can't share it with me, could you send me some images that include the fieldwell of the column chart?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors