Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to deploy shared dataset reports across environments

Hi,

I have developed a report that has a live connection to a "development" workspace dataset. I have published this report to a different workspace than the dataset workspace. I now want to use a deployment pipeline to promote the report to a different "test" workspace but also want to change its original live connection now to the "test" workspace dataset which has different source connections configured compared to the development workspace dataset. Is this possible via deployment pipelines or will the API have to be used to switch out the connections? Deployment pipeline rules cannot be used as the datasets are not being deployed with the reports due to them living in different workspaces.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@powerbi_jenhen You can use the 'rebind' APIs after each deployment, to re-connect the report and dataset to the appropriate stages in each pipeline.

This does indeed seem to resolve the capability gap.

Can I just clarify dates as you advise Jan whilst the link infers Public Preview in March 2022?

Thanks

Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@powerbi_jenhen,

This scenario is not fully supported yet.

We are working to support this scenario. It will be released within 3-6 months.

Until then, the best way to have different pipelines that are connected to each other is by connecting all downstream reports to the Prod dataset, and have local test reports on the dataset pipeline to test dataset changes. 

@Nimrod_Shalit 
We too are looking to replicate this process via Deployment Pipelines.
I see that you added the ability this week to assign workspaces to each stage of a Pipeline. Still, a workspace can only be in 1 pipeline.

We now have a fully functioning pipeline for the shared data.
The reports were initially "Save as a copy" manually to multiple Team workspaces, with a master copy of the report in that workspace.

Now we can't overwrite as "Save as a copy" creates an incremental version, rather than overwriting the existing version (as you would do if you published directly from the desktop).

The best we can do is manually use the Reports - Update Report Content In Group API to update the Team version to the "Shared Data" version. This is repeated in each stage.

The alternate you have suggested is to (as per @powerbi_jenhen) have a standalone data pbix with the live connection to it. 
As you deploy the report Development->Test we would have to use Reports - Rebind Report In Group to bind to the Shared Data Test Dataset.

I have a developer trying to automate this in the Azure DevOps pipeline, but can only seem to get read only permissions for the APIs as a service principal?

Any suggestions on any stage here and (excuse the pun), anything further in the pipeline?

Many thanks, 

Scott

@ScottShanksPAM  see this- Deployment pipelines - Multiple pipelines working together | Microsoft Docs

This is expected to be shipped by end of January, so i would just wait for that to be released.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying the API can't be used either? I was hoping to setup variable groups within an Azure DevOps release pipeline to inject environment values into Powershell scripts. This should then allow me to deploy the shared dataset into a different workspace to the report artifacts and allow me to drop and recreate the connections?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors