Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to deploy dataflow from UAT workspace to production workspace

Hi Experts,

As I have built DataFlow in Workspace UAT and now it is the time to deploy to Workspace PRD. How can I achieve it? If it is not possible, what is the best possible solution or methodology to separate two different environments for testing and production with the use of DataFlow.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@Anonymous,

We are working on integrating Dataflows into deployment pipelines.

it will still take us some months to achieve this, but once it's ready it will slve the problem you are describing here.

Until then, maybe this blog post can help- Move dataflows across workspaces with the Power BI REST API – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Nimrod for the response which confirms I am not going mad.

Any idea when Deployment Pipelines is likely to have this feature? I cannot find reference to it in the release plan:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave2/power-bi/

Cheers

Adam

Release plans are until end of March. Dataflows will probably be available in the April- July timeframe, no specific date yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Anyone have an update on this?

I have found you can import the exported json file:

AdamMcGuinness_1-1610685627600.png

However that only works on the first deployment.

If you subsequently alter the dataflow in non-production, export the json and re-import it, PBI does not overwrite existing, it creates a new version in the target workspace e.g.

First import = My Dataflow

Second import = My Dataflow (1)

Hence dependent dataset/dataflow does not pick-up the changes.

If I delete the original before importing, that does not help either as dependent objects do not reference the name, they reference the GUID which changes upon re-importing.

Is there a better way than having to modify dependent downstream datasets and dataflows to point to altered source dataflows?

Deployment Pipelines are useful for reports and datasets. What about dataflows Microsoft?

Thanks

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry not very clear from you post what you are looking for.  what's your datasource? Do you want to migrate the dataflow from one workspace to another?I'm afraid it's not accessible currently.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft 

Thanks for your replay.

" Do you want to migrate the dataflow from one workspace to another?"

You are right, that is what I would like to do. After some time looking for the possible options, I found export to JSON which I can export from one workspace but I cannot find a way to import to another workspace.

Is this possible to create an entity from the exported JSON file?

export json.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you try this ?

009.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, Thanks for reply.

I found that but I presume that this is for data source in json format not to create DataFlows from exported json file, so I didn't try.

Anyway I'll try and see.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors