Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markmacardle
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to delete "Group" type workspaces

I'm an admin and have a team called in my organisation called Commercial. There is a workspace associated with their Office 365 group called Commercial but I can't easily add viewing members to it. So I created a workspace called Commercial thinking that would overwrite the first. However now I just have two:

Two Commercial workspacesTwo Commercial workspaces

When I look in the Workspaces tab of the admin portal I see these have different types; Workspace and Group.

Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 12.26.38.png

In the normal workspace I get the expected options and could use "Workspace settings" to delete it

Normal workspace optionsNormal workspace options

However for the group one I don't get the same options

Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 12.43.36.png

I know I can "Leave workspace" to not see the group one anymore, but how do I delete it? I don't want users to upload reports to the wrong one in future. I need to keep the Office 365 group so can't just delete that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@markmacardle This appears to be a case where you want to upgrade your existing workspace to the new workspace experience. A little background. Power BI originally created workspaces that were directly tied to O365 groups. Create a group in O365 you would see it in Power BI. Create it in Power BI and you'd create an O365 universal group. This is obviously not ideal. So they now have a v2 workspace, which is the one you seem to have created just now.

I would recommend you delete the new workspace and follow the path to upgrade your original one to the new version so you can add in the new workspace viewer role. It should leave everything still connected, and you can find all the steps here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/designer/service-upgrade-workspaces

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@markmacardle This appears to be a case where you want to upgrade your existing workspace to the new workspace experience. A little background. Power BI originally created workspaces that were directly tied to O365 groups. Create a group in O365 you would see it in Power BI. Create it in Power BI and you'd create an O365 universal group. This is obviously not ideal. So they now have a v2 workspace, which is the one you seem to have created just now.

I would recommend you delete the new workspace and follow the path to upgrade your original one to the new version so you can add in the new workspace viewer role. It should leave everything still connected, and you can find all the steps here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/designer/service-upgrade-workspaces

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors