Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vipinkmathews
Helper I
Helper I

How to decide column visibility based on user role?

I have a Sales Report table visual with 10 columns and few of them are numeric columns.

For example : Product Code, Prod Name, Description, Unit Price, Qty, Discount %, Total Sales

I am publishing this report to PBI service and I create a dashboard and pin this report page.

My requirement is to hide the columns - Discount %, Total Sales for all the users except Managers.

I.e. For a sales person it will hide these 2 columns and if the logged in user is a manager then it will display all the columns.

Q 1: How to create users under 2 new groups(Manager Group & Sales Group) so that it's easy to specify these group of users while sharing a dashboard rather than adding individual users?

Q2 : When the manager level users and sales person level users are added to the dashboard users list, how do it hide/show the column visibility in the dashboard for the above mentioned columns?

Q3 : The same visibility should be applied to the report as well.

Kindly let me know the feasible approach.

Best Regards

Vipin

2 REPLIES 2

@vipinkmathews You can't perform column level permissioning in Power BI. The Row Level Security filters the entire dataset not specific visibility in visuals or columns. You could control whether or not the data shows up, but all end users would see the same column headings. The idea is here, you could vote for it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_BauerIf this basic feature is not available, is there any other alternative to toggle the visibility of the column?

Any DAX formula can help on this?

Best Regards

Vipin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors