Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

How to create multiple apps from same workspace

Hi I have multiple reports published into workspace and I would like to give specific user access to specific reports. I found one solution where power BI apps can help do this, but I am unable to create multiple access. Request help on how to give user access.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old topic. But just want to say this feature is published recently which allows multiple user groups within one report app. In this way, you can attach different reports for different user groups https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-public-preview-of-multiple-audiences-for-power-b...

esther21179
Frequent Visitor

You can restrict access to the data within the report by Row Level Security. So you could still have one workspace and one app, but only User A has Row Level Security for Report A, and User B has Row Level Security for Report B. A workaround.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @MonicaDevaraju,

unfortunately it's not possible to create multiple Apps from one workspace.

You can restrict access to certain reports via the App. But for multiple access paths (user A can see report A, user B > report B, etc), you would need multiple workspaces.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

This solution would require maintaining identical reports across multiple workspaces right? Surely there must be a better way?

Hi @nickyvv , Thank you for your reply. Could you please direct me as to how I can restrict user access to reports within my app. For example, my app has report-1 and report-2. I would like user-1 to view only report-1, user-2 to view only report-2 and user-3 to view both reports.

Hi @MonicaDevaraju,

as I said this is not possible with only one workspace.
You'll have to create 3 workspaces for this. Or create 2 workspaces and give user 3 access to the workspace to view all the reports for example. That depends on your needs.

Hi @nickyvv  - Unfortunately, this isn't an option for me as I have a single premium workspace. I have published all my reports to this workspace. If I share the reports with the respective users, will this work? (Assuming my users have free license).

Hi @MonicaDevaraju, If you have Premium then you definitely need an App for free users. But I'm sorry to say, you need 3 workspaces to share different reports to different users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @nickyvv 

do you know if this functionality is coming soon ? I'm new in the community. Is there anywhere a way to see the next release ?

Thx

I don't expect this to come very soon. You can check the roadmap here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave1/business-intelligence/planned...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors